Toddler bed or crib????

So my daughter is 14 months old and really tall. Due to a stupid desicion on my part, we have a standard crib. Meaning, it cannot be turned into a toddler bed, or anything. And if we cut it in any way, it wouldn't hold. Our problem? She can climb like no other. Really, in a week, she'll be able to get out on the lowest setting. Yet she isn't old enough to understand the concept of a toddler bed, as she'd always climb out thinking it was a game.
What do we do??
:(

VonWiggles

Asked by VonWiggles at 11:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have the same problem. I got a toddler bed and put it in my room(to start with). She went to bed in a big girl bed just like mommy. So she thought it was awesome. After a while, I slowly transitioned the bed into her own room. She caught on right away. And its low to the ground.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Once they can climb out of the crib its time to go to the toddler bed. You can get the safety rails for the sides to keep them in if needed but you cant let them fall out of the crib.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm not letting her fall out of anything. But if she'll climb out of the crib, won't she climb over the rails and fall too? That's the problem
    VonWiggles

Answer by VonWiggles at 11:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I put my dd into a toddler bed at 14 mos. I rocked her to sleep at night (best I could without a rocking chair) and put her in when she was asleep leaving her door open. As time went by it got harder to put her to sleep so I shut the door and let her CIO for a few minutes. Once I know she is asleep I open the door back up and she comes and gets me if she wakes up during the night.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:15 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Why isn't she able to understand the "concept" of a bed? You may have to teach her by putting her back in repeatedly, but there is no reason she can't go into a regular bed. It's a hell of a lot safer than her falling out of a crib while trying to climb out and possibly breaking a leg.

Mine went into a regular bed at 15 months. The first hit the height limit on the crib, the other two we switched at that age just because.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son is 22 months and there is NO WAY he would have understood the concept of a toddler bed at 14 months either - what works for some doesn't work for others. Can you maybe put a mattress on the floor as a bed for a while? you may have to sleep with her for a while until she understands when she lays down in it, its bedtime - I don't have great advice, my son is 22 months and still in his crib - I dread the toddler bed time cause I know he'll never sleep.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• How is this an attack on me putting my daughter in "unsafe" positions? Obviously, I'm asking to keep her safe! And what 14 month old, may I ask, can stay put in a bed without wanting to climb over the rails? She'd get hurt that way too!.

And thanks, I'll try the idea with the mattress :]
    VonWiggles

Answer by VonWiggles at 9:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2009