How long after Christmas do you take down your outdoor lights?

There are people in my neighborhood who leave them up all year. I think it is tacky and it drives me crazy. I realize there might be some physical issue keeping those individuals from removing them... but there is one house that has had them up all year round for the last 5 years we have lived here. LOL

emdred

Asked by emdred at 11:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Holidays

• You do not have to take them down, if you do not put them up.

Answer by louise2 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "Cause I'm a redneck woman
    And I ain't no high class broad
    I'm just a product of my raisin'
    And I say "hey y'all" and "Yee Haw"
    And I keep my Christmas lights on, on my front porch all year long"

Not your house dont worry about it.
    I leave mine up all year.
    It is so much easier then taking them down then putting them up every year.
    Not to sound mean but how would you feel about people talking crap about something on your house or in your yard?
    You would tell them to mind their own business.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Everything comes down within one week after the new yr here....

I see many homes with their holiday lights up all yr... most times it doesn't look to bad, but then
    there are those occasional homes that have a combo of all of the holidays still up....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Ummm...roof lights never. Because we have no ladder and have to borrow one. The rest either New years eve or day since we do Kwanzaa
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't put lights up outside but the few years I did (when I was much younger) I took them down when the weather warmed up. Sometimes we would get a nice day in January and sometimes it wouldn't warm up enough to get them down until March or April. Everyone around here does it that way.

When I was a teen we did have lights up for a very long time. When I was 15 or 16 my dad was putting lights up around the eaves of our porch and fell off the ladder. He broke his wrist in 2 places and broke his arm. He had to have surgery and has lost full use of his arm. Those lights stayed up for over 5 years because my dad refused to get on the ladder again and my mom couldn't do it, I'm afraid of heights, etc. Finally a neighbor offered to take them down one summer. They were all faded to white (were colored) and most didn't work any more.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We take everything down January 2nd.

SLGross215

Answer by SLGross215 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The lights come off our house by Jan. 2. We have like 100 pine trees from our mailbox to our house and we string those to look like candy canes and those stay up all year long. When plug them all in around Thanksgiving to see how many strings of lights went out and how many we need to replace. We usually have all of them fixed by time Christmas comes around. My husbands cheats, he brings his man-lift home from work and strings the trees and the house, it's easier and a little more safe than moving around a ladder. He decorates outside and I do the inside of the house.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I always take them down before New Years.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• new year's day.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• mid to end January...I like the lights up in winter
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2009