Can a Jehovah's Witness explain these verses to me?

I know that JW's believe that Jesus is not God but Michael the Archangel. Can you give me your explination of these verses?

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (who is this if not Jesus?)

John 1:3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. (speaking of the Word, which is Jesus)

Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me. (how can Jesus be [a] god as your bible states in John when scripture says there is not God besides the one true God?)

Colossians 1:15-17 15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, (again speaking of Jesus)

MrsHart6

Asked by MrsHart6 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I cannot grasp the concept of JWs
    No celebration of birthdays huh??
    And what about the trinity?
    JWs are BS.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i dont think they are BS, i think that they believe what they read the way everyone else does. they feel that God and Jesus are separate because it does say those verses in the bible, but it also says that God so loved the world that he gave his only son. thats one and like when Jesus is praying to his father, that's another and when someone asked Jesus when will the end be, he said not I but the father knows. I can see where they're coming from with believing that Jesus is Gods son and not the same people. and they dont celebrate bdays because Jesus didnt and some king killed john the baptist as a birthday gift. dont knock them, just let them be. they seem like peaceful people, if the worst that they can do is knock on my door then that's fine by me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• why do u people insist on harassing jw's. just leave them alone. they're not harassing you. whats the point to all this. you believe what u believe they believe what they believe, just drop it. you know its not very christian to harass and judge people, take a good look at yourself before u judge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "they're not harassing you" now that part is not true... they knock on our door all the freaken time!!! at like 9 am on the weekends!! They need to leave us the "f" alone. Last time I asked them for their address so I could co ring their doorbell when they are sleeping.... and they said... no.... DUH... If they dont' want me at their house what makes them think i want then at mine!!!!!!!!!! Get off my door step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other then that, your right .... take a good look at yourself before u judge!!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "why do u people insist on harassing jw's"..by anon, of course.

who is 'u people'? its actually an identified post...rejoice and be glad that its not an anon..and stop lumping all non-jws in with this poster. k?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• it doesnt matter if the responses r anon, i type anon because im a private person. when anon said u people, shes prob. ref. to people that keep bashing jws.

sincerely, Anon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I am not JW, and can not give you their translation 100% but I may be able to help. I was raised JW and that was all drilled in to my head from day one... I will have to ask my mother about the scripture in Isaiah. But I can give you an explanation about John... John 1:1 is translated wrong in most bibles. The real translation was not understood until just a few years back and it was rejected as mis-translation by the Vatican and most other major churchs. The correct translation of John 1:1 reads "In the beginning the Word was, and the word was with God." buy reading John 1:3 using this context it changes the meaning completely.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Many people have issues with the fact that the JW bible is rewritten and retranslated so often. But we are just now gaining the correct understanding of many of the old dialects and languages. This means that many of the old translations were mis-translated. The JW bible has actually gained awards from secular authorities and foundations because they now have the most accurate translation. But the simple addition of words like is or was can change the entire meaning of a scripture. As we learn more about the languages we are more able to translate correctly. Because the JW bible is updated so often, it is keeping up with the new understandings of these languages and is more accurate because of it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• As for your question about Deuteronomy... JWs believe that Jesus is the SON of God. He is not A god. He is second in command to God. So where the bible states that Jehovah is the only God, their belief does not clash with that.

And Colossians again does not clash with that belief. It says that Jesus is made in the Image of God. The bible also states that we are made in his Image. It doesn't say we are gods though. The second half says that "by him all things were created". JWs believe that God created Jesus and then they created all other things together. So again, this doesn't clash with what they believe.

Now, as I said I am not JW and don't have all the answers. IMO, all Christianity is a joke, not just JWs. But to each their own. What I will say is I don't understand why there need to be so many posts picking apart their beliefs just because you don't agree. Frankly, that's why these beliefs are their and not yours.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Many of the religious freedoms that Americans and Canadians enjoy today were obtained through legal means by Jehovah's Witnesses, and others, who first disobeyed civil laws, were charged, and then successfully fought for their religious freedom through the courts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2009