anyone feel that obamas speech is going to be much ado about nothing?

I mean I don't have school age kids so it doesn't effect me but if I did I wouldn't keep them out because I honestly don't think its going to be as big an epidemic as I read it will be on here. I mean keeping kids out a whole school day for a one hour speech, give or take just seems a bit silly to me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just posted the full text in my journals, I did'nt see anything bad in it, there are a few parts where he will lose the younger kids, but really I think there is a lot of hype over nothing. The overall message is good and I have no problem with my children hearing it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:12 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It is an 18 minute speech. WTF would you keep your kids out? If this had been GWBush giving the speech, we would have not really been impressed by anything he had to say to our kids, but we would have let our kids watch...now if they got anything out of his monkey noises would be another matter :p
    My family is excited to hear the president of the USA give a speech about how important it is to stay in school.
    I think people are trying to rebel against him not about what he is saying. I think it is a waste to keep your kids out of a whole day of school for 20 minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Wow I didn't realize it was so short! Yeah I would definitely not keep my sons out of school for that even if they were school aged! I mean obama isn't my best friend I don't care much for him but keeping kids out all day for 18 minutes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The "curriculum plan" with such activities as "Write a letter saying what you can do to help President Obama" is what created the indignation. Other presidents' speeches did not come with prep and follow-up lesson plans.
    A lot of people seem ignorant that a big part of the uproar arose because schools were going to be showing the "I Pledge" video at the same time ... some schools have already shown this video during school assembly time ( one principal said "Uh-oh, I should have previewed the WHOLE thing !")

And another part of this is resistance to being railroaded by school authorities if they won't let your child miss the speech - like you say, it's just 20 minutes! Why is it SO hard to let a child do something different for 20 minutes.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• ... Sorry ... link to article about "I Pledge" video getting shown WITH Obama's classroom address:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2032-Portland-Parenting-Examiner~y2009m9d4-The-I-Pledge-Obama-video-Poll
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well I think getting kids out of and back into classrooms into a multipurpose room would take about an hour which is more than twice as much as his speech, I mean we had to do DARE in 6th grade where we pledged to never touch drugs, and I'm sure 90% of us had at least once no matter what we pledged ;]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• That 90% being in my 6th grade class not I'm america :p
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It will be much ado about nothing. He will say "Study hard, stay in school and do your homework." among other things, to encourage kids. Have you read it? Its very nice. How can anyone find fault with something that innocent? ....sigh.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Lol I couldn't even remember what DARE stood for so I asked my husband and at first he said 'drugs are really exciting' then after 5 mins of thinking he finally said 'drug alcohol resistance education' lol at least he remembered
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My problem is all the follow up activities take too much time away from class work.It is nice to start the year on a positive message but goes overboard on the extra stuff.Let the teachers teach.It is not the first day of school for many districts so they are actually working not first day stuff.I would feel this way about any pres. All the extra stuff is grandstanding.Our school will watch the address then it's back to class work.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2009