would you stay with a man just for your kids to make them happy even if you are not happy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• Personally I wouldn't do it. I've seen the negative from people staying in a loveless relationship. It doesn't go well. I can understand why people might try to though. You should really make sure you really don't want to be with the person before you decide. Obviously it can be hard on the children. My niece didn't handle her parents divorce well. She was only 3 at the time and showed signs of emotional issues even then. But trust me, in the long run the children will be better off and so will you. No point in staying in a relationship you're not happy with, even when children are involved. Sorry to hear of this type of situation. It can be very difficult.
    geminigirl18

Answer by geminigirl18 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Flat out the answer is no.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• If the only way that I could support my kids was to stay with him, AND he wasn't abusive in any way towards me, then yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes. I would at least until they are a little older and can fend for themselves. My marriage is on thin ice and the main thing I'm sticking it out for is my kids. As much as I'd love to have a couple days a week to myself, I'd miss them and my husband isn't the best caregiver, I'd worry they'd have too many spills. He makes bad judgement calls and even worse decisions. When I think about leaving I worry they won't get good care when with him, so I am a bit more forgiving. We still have ups and downs, it's not completely unsatisfying, but it is enough. Maybe in another two or three years I will leave and my oldest will be 4 or 5 and youngest 2 or 3.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 1:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• No. I went through that, and wish I hadn't stayed as long as I did. I knew after being married to him for 3 or so years that it wasn't going to work, but we stayed together for 12. Other than my kids, I feel like those were wasted years. Especially now that I'm married to a wonderful man - I never knew marriage could be this much fun! But I wasn't happy married to my ex, and I think my kids sensed that at the time, even as young as they were.

Answer by missanc at 8:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Try therapy to figure out why you aren't happy. Don't be such a quitter and fight for your family!!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2009