What should I do if my baby is developing aflat spot on her head? Should I be seriously concerned or will it round itself out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends do you work? Depending on where it is or if she's in day care she might not be being cared for every well. Sometimes babies that are left alone laying down a lot develop flat spots.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• some need helmets to correct it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My friend's baby had a flat spot. Her 1st several months were spent in a car seat or a swing. I have another friend who did not know to alternate sleep postions and her baby got a flat head.. Make sure you alternate sleeping positions to try to avoid this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• just keep the baby off of that part of her head for awhile. (For example, if it is on the back of the head, keep your baby upright or on her belly while shes awake. ) It is usually a sign that baby is spending too much time in one position.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• How old is your baby? For the first few months of her life my DD had a flat spot. I was concerned and asked her doctors (she had several doctors because she had complications after birth) they all said to give it a few months and it would round out. by 5 or 6 months it was completely gone.
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 2:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You need to see a pediatrician right away just to be on the safe side. sometimes babies soft spots close up too quickly and it can deform their head. It can be corrected with a helmet though. Im not saying that what it is, but I would address it right away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• A flat spot comes from too much time laying in one position... so lying in a bouncy seat, swing, carseat all of the time puts pressure on the same spot all of the time. You need to hold you baby more, do more tummy time, and find other things to keep your baby from putting pressure on the same spot all of the time.
    A friends baby has to wear a helmet all of the time because his head is so misshappen from sitting around all of the time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2009