almost 10 month old and won't go to sleep

What do i do?! we've tried cio but he don't give up. He has asthma and will stop breathing because he gets so worked up. He will generally fall asleep while bf or being rocked but nothing seems to work. HELP!

mrsjonzy

Asked by mrsjonzy at 12:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he teething? Maybe a pain reliever. I don't do CIO. Take him to bed with you, he'll sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I've been cuddling with him and trying to sleep but nothing seems to work.. My husband is walking him around the house and he's finally stopped screaming but he won't sleep
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I totally disagree with the pp..dont take him to bed with you if u dont have to bc then you'll have the same issues later on when u want him outta ur bed..have u talked to you doctor...maybe for some reason he's uncomfortable and can't sleep. I can't really help much bc we did CIO and it worked after a while of crying for 20 min or so everynight but since u can't thats a tough one. Do ya'll have like a night time routine..some people say that helps so they know its bedtime and after a while fall asleep easier on thier own. Man with that asthma thats really a tough one..I'd try talking to your doctor if u haven't...thats my only suggestion...good luck..i remember what it was like to never sleep and I feel for you
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 1:00 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• What is he wearing. Is his diaper too tight? Maybe strip him down for a while. My LO gets sleepy when I massage him with lotion. Dim the lights and even sing softly to him. Good luck Mama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Since he has asthma, I would speak to his doctor before letting him CIO. Until then, do what you know what works best. Rock and breastfeed. That seems to be a lot better than spending a night at the hospital for an asthma attack, personally. My son didn't have any issues, but he never slept more than four hours per night until he was 9 months old. I have a severe sleeping disorder (inability to fall asleep) on top of it. So I kind of know how much it must suck.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Also I know you said he's breastfeeding..is he getting enough?? maybe he's still hungry..might consider fixing him bottles at night or something to fill his belly up
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 1:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• This sounds like a baby going through a growth spurt or developmental change.
    It is so much easier to nurse during the night when your baby is in your bed. We co-slept past our daughter’s first birthday, and had no issues transitioning her to her own bed at night.
    Trust your instincts! No bottles!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• when you figure it out let me know lol I am going through the same thing and I'm so frustrated! Doesn't a baby NEED to sleep sometimes!?
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I know this sounds funny but try doing his routine a little earlier. I know with Gianna if I let her get past the "cut off time" she has trouble sleeping. She gets over tired. And then she is just off. She is in bed by 7:30 and no later cause otherwise my whole night is upset!
    She NEEDS 12 hours of sleep. And she will go and go all night if I let her.
    JmeSoup

Answer by JmeSoup at 9:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2009