When did you take the pacifier? Do you regret it?

I think that my son is ready to go without it. He is 14 months old and I always said that when he tries to talk with it, then it is gone. He never used it a whole lot anyways, just when he was hurt or tired.
The more I research, the more I see people waiting until 2-3ish to take it away. That seems late to me! Anybody waited and regretted it? Anybody taken it early and regretted it?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 12:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• 9 months and i dont regret it he was ready at 6 but oh well
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My oldest is 23 mo and we just now got her to go with out one. It's great that you took it early before it became a habit. We had a heck of a time keeping one out of her mouth. Awesome job mom!
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I was told when i had my first to take it away the first time they get a cold, my oldest had breathing problems soon after birth so it went away fairly quickly. my second didnt use one at all and my third till she was about 3 months.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Jenni- just wanted to say thanks for the positive encouragement! I am always expecting judgement and moms who think they are better than every one else. lol. Your response was refreshing!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Never could get any of my kids to take one but I think if they had I would have taken away not long after their first b-day.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I took it away from my oldest also around 14 months, it was a great choice! She still used it sparatically for about 2 months at night to help her fall asleep but it would be at the other end of the crib in the morning. My youngest won't take one and she's almost 9 months old, sometimes I wish she would though :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I never gave any of mine one so it was never an issue.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:00 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We took it away at 9 months

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• at 6 months. After that the need to suckle is gone and wanted to be rid of it before it became a habit.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• When my oldest daughter, the only child out of 3 who took a pacifier, was about 6 months old I began taking it out of her mouth once she was asleep and hid it until she became tired or sick. She was completely off of it by 18 months because the sight of a walking child sucking on a pacifier turns my stomach.
    I think 2 to 2/12 years old is fine, if absolutely necessary, but 3 years is way too old unless the child has a mental or medical condition where they need the soothing of a pacifier.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009