Anyone ever been on WIC?

I am suppose to go wednesday to get put on WIC. My husband doesn't want me to but his job has cut his hours down and the kids I were babysitting have went back to school so we lost the extra income from that. We aren't on any other kind of government assistance and never have been so I don't feel bad about getting this. What are your opinions? Were you ever on WIC?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• For the RUDE person!! HER HUSBAND is a TAXPAYER!! They paid into the programs! and that is what they are there for!! So lay off!! No need to be so negative!
    MawmeofTwins

Answer by MawmeofTwins at 6:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• im on WIC now with my newborn its a great program. its gives you vouchers to get formula, milk, cheese, eggs, juice, and they got some new things coming out in october like wheat bread and jar food for infants
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 1:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have been on it and I liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the huffs and puffs from the people behind me & the cashiers at the stores whenever I used them, but there comes a point when getting free food is more important than how strangers feel about waiting an extra 5 minutes. Also, I would always have too much cheese and eggs, and the cereal they allow is boring but if you have small children that like plain cheerios then they will never run out lol.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have never been on WIC but my oldest daughter was when she had her first baby and I think its a wonderful program for those that need assistance providing for their children. Your dh ego's is probably bruised right now but after he realizes how much it will benefit the welfare of the kids he will become more open minded. Good luck!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 1:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have been and currently am. I've never felt bad for it. Right now neither my husband or I are working (he's working on getting on disability for his back and I am on unemployment.. since my job fired me when I was PG). We take what help we can get.. and it is the only assistance we do get.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Oh, and its a HUGE benefit if you need some kind of special formula (my dd needed a drs note for it, but she had to be on a hypoallergenic formula do a milk and soy protein allergy - stuff was $26 for a small can of formula.. there was no way I could have afforded that even when I was working!)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm on WIC now and love it. It's the only form of assisstance we get as well and it's a life saver. It helps out so much and it helps put me at ease that my daughter is taken care of during these hard times. I dont feel bad at all either. I use to be a cashier years ago so I try not to do more than one check at once. To be considerate of them and the other customers, but some can be so rude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I get WIC for foster care children. It's a lifesaver for formula, that stuff is crazy expensive! I agree what the others say about the comments from the lines or the cashiers. The area I live in doesn't really get WIC checks and there is like one teller that knows how to do it at the store I go to. So normally they know who I am in advance and call "the teller" who knows how to do the checks. I don't care. It helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes, I'm on WIC right now. It's not the same as food stamps, etc...WIC is a food supplement, that's it. It is there to provide some healthy basics for baby and mother. Most people on WIC are working families that just need a little help - I think it's a great program.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It is a great program we are on it because we have had some issues with employment too, now I am stuck home with the children but since I cannot breastfeed for medical reasons that just came up this pregnancy WIC has been a lifesaver because we definitely could not afford the formula. The only down side is all the judgemental people you run across...which I tell them to go to hell because my husband does work and pay taxes!

Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 3:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2009