Im about 6 weeks pregnant right now. About two weeks ago, i caught a really bad cold. my symptoms are mainly coughing aloot & really bad chest pain. I had made an appointment last week to see my OB to let him know i was really sick, and assuming he would check me and then prescribe me something appropriate for pregnancy, nope he just said.. "thats life hunny, just treat it as you would if you werent pregnant".

Since my doctors visit i have taken cough medicine(Non-alcoholic) & sudafed. I'm still verry much sick a week later, and my symptoms of vomitting & chest pains seem to be progressing. What should I do to get better? Should I be worried about harming my going on 7 week baby? Someone please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First of all your doctor sounds like a quack. You can't just take any cold medicine when you are prego. My doctor said to take certian kind of cold medicine. If you are still feeling badly you need to call back and tell the doctor.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Did your doctor at least tell you which medications were ok to take while pregnant? I would go back in or to a new doc, chest pain could be a sign of pneumonia and would need treatment.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would go see another doctor immediately! Watch this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1CXxea_Fb4
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:17 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• he mighy have just assumed you didnt take medication for it

i dunno...i dont take medication for much unless i NNNEEEDDD it bad, best way to treat a cold is flush out your system, drink plenty of water, 64 ounces is minimum daily intake for a pregnant woman so i would try maybe an extra bottle of water...sudafed and other medicine wont get rid of it, just mask it, which is sometimes bad because if you're too active and not letting your body get its rest then it wont go away

so drink plenty of water
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i know how you feel, i had caught a cold too a few weeks ago...it sucks. But I was told by my OB i could go to my family doc.,when i saw him he gave me some meds THAT ARE SAFE WHILE PREGO. watch what meds you are taking at home though hun, i had taken some non drowy stuff myself{even after L&D had okayed it} and it put my litle one to sleep{i was 33-34 weeks along}.After seeing my family doc and he gave me the proper meds to use i got better quicker and my little one wasnt harmed.
    also like the other people have said if your doc isnt really acting like he cares for you as a patient i would find another doc. my first ob was like that and i had to change him when he started just prescribing me meds without doing any test or even examing me...you dont want to be in something like that.it could cause you and your little one ALOT of trouble. well i hope this help :)
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 2:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My first OB was like that, I decided to look elsewhere for treatment. After seeing him I also had bleeding spell that sent me to the ER, they told me to talk to him about further investigation & more monitoring. I brought it up with him & he told me 1. not to come in unless he had scheduled me, & 2. that if miscarriage happens all it means is I didn't want it bad enough & wasn't taking care of myself. No matter how much I complained about his practice, nobody seemed to care or take action. So, there are still doctors like him doing their thing. Sounds like you got one, too. Seek immediate transfer. Until then, drink plenty of water & be VERY careful if you take ANY meds at home (if anything, go to the ER - they will likely prescribe something SAFE for you). Chest pain could mean pneumonia, you should be getting proper treatment for that (or at least be looked at for it).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i was pretty sick like that at 8 weeks pregnant but my doctor said i probably just had a simple cold and to go about things as i normally would and then told me i didnt have to come in for another 6 weeks i felt kind of weird about it but figured doctor knows best so after a couple weeks of rest i felt slightly better so i went back to work well it got worse while i was at work that day and fell down in exhaustion was rushed to the hospital to find out i had untreated pneumonia that whole time they kept me overnight but i ended up losing my baby that night at 10 weeks 2 days they said had i been treated earlier it could have been prevented so my boyfriend convinced me to sue my doctor for malpractice even though i won the case i still to this day am so torn up over that had i just found a new doctor and been checked out everything would have been fine so i suggest you find a new doctor until one actually does their job
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Find a new doctor.

Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2009