newborn is not sleeping at night

My baby girl is only 3-4 weeks old but sleeps all day and is awake all night. At night Im exhausted because she is awake but not only that she crys if I put her down. I actually have to hold her and rock her back and forth . Im on maternity leave right now and Im exhausted feeling like a zombie but what am I going to do when I go back to work? My husband really helps out alot, we take shifts, he even took paternity leave to help me out. How can I make my newborn fall asleep at night and not during the day?

sailormoonjen85

Asked by sailormoonjen85 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This happened to me too. She has her days and nights mixed up. Keep the house as lit up as possible during the day. At night keep it very quiet and as dark as you can. It takes a while and is exhausting but she will eventually get turned back around. And please don't listen to anyone that tells you to try to keep her awake some more during the day. Your baby knows when her little body needs rest and if you try to stop her from sleeping she will just be cranky and miserable which will make things worse for her and you too. Just push thru this, mommy. It's hard, I know, but it will be ok. *hugz*
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 2:02 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I agree with sadiesmom87. And there is nothing wrong with sleeping when she is awake as long as she is in a safe place and all her needs have been met!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• This is normal, and will pass.

While many babies sleep through the night very young, you can't expect a child under the age of 1 to sleep all night. My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept 6 solid hours. I went back to work full time when she was 8 weeks old, and I just learned to manage with less sleep.

Good luck, and enjoy your little one!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• 3 out of my 4 kids had their days and nights mixed up. You could just wait and hope she changes it herself, but for me - I woke my kids up every 3 hours during the day to feed, doing whatever it took - changing their diaper, their clothes, putting a cool cloth on their face and making sure they nursed a full feeding then trying to get them to stay awake, but they usually slept 1 1/2 hours until time to wake them back up to eat again. At night, I let them sleep as long as they would. After a couple days, they got on a normal day/night schedule. The best book I ever read on this was "Babywise: Giving Your Child the Gift of Nighttime Sleep"

Answer by missanc at 7:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009