Do you know what bloat is in dogs? Do you know???

Read this, and share any experiences you have had.

http://gomestic.com/pets/bloat-in-dogs/

romanceparty4u

Asked by romanceparty4u at 2:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pets

• I know what bloat is, and I have seen it happen. I have a big dog, so his food is elevated so that he can't wolf it down. Also, we never go for walks right after he has eaten.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have noted many reports that state that elevation increases the incidence of bloat, and then I see recommendations to elevate---very difficult to absorb this information when it conflicts.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 2:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I work at a vet clinic, and they do suggest to elevate because it prevents the dog from eating too fast, which is one of the causes of bloat.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yes I have a dane and know about bloat and have studied it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes I have heard of bloat, as a Dane and Newfie owner I have researched the issues they can have.
    Do you have a bloat kit? Here is a link for what you should have in a bloat kit and easy to understand drawings that explain it well: http://www.kifka.com/Elektrik/BloatFirstAid.htm
    shaecastle

Answer by shaecastle at 8:12 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yes I know what bloat is and have seen dogs bloating- its very scary. Ive also seen dogs die from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Bloat is trapping of gases in the stomach and if torsion (twisting)occurs the situation is much worse. We have had a dog survive it, but the vet bill was almost higher than our mortgage. It needs to be noticed as soon as possible and treated right then to increase survival.
    Many female dogs have a procedure done at spay that tacks the stomach to prevent the twisting. For male dogs this is an individual surgery option.
    You will notice your dog acting odd, vomiting food and water if it tries to eat, being listless, less aware.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 8:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i ve seenad heard about bloat we were warned about it since r dog is big luckley he hasnt had a problem we wouldnt be able to afford the surgery if he needed it
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Please read the article---it is preventable to some degree. Not 100%, but there are measures you can take!

http://gomestic.com/pets/bloat-in-dogs/

romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009