what worse fo a breastfeeding mother to do ?

smoke marijuana or drink??
my friend was prescribed medical marijuana for her anxiety but she breastfeeding is that right an she also has the odd drink

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• drink. but you can have a few drinks its only if you get trashed and wasted
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• drinking is worse. THC can not be transferred through breastmilk to make the baby high
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 2:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think both are bad and if my doctor ever prescibed pot to me then i would have him find somelse for me i would explain that i am BFing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Both are bad. That is such a ridiculus question. I mean really. Are people REALLY this stupid?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• drinking is MUCH worse than smoking marijuana.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "After a breastfeeding mother uses marijuana, THC is evident in her baby's urine and stools (Perez-Reyes and Wall, 1982)."

So, yes, THC CAN be transferred to a baby through breastmilk.

"Any secondhand smoke the baby is exposed to increases the amount of the drug he receives. And animal studies indicate that marijuana may suppress lactation. It stands to reason that an infant exposed to large quantities of secondhand smoke could become too lethargic to nurse. The combined effects of less breast milk and less suckling from the infant could further depress the mother's milk supply and create problems for the baby."
    "If you choose to have an occasional glass of wine or beer while breastfeeding, knowing the risks, it's up to you. But marijuana use is not acceptable under any circumstances."

Answer by missanc at 7:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Why take the chance? I couldn't breast feed after I ate garlic ! He wouldn't drink it. I had to give him formula for a few days until the garlic was gone. She needs to talk to her pediatrician ASAP.

rubymoon57

Answer by rubymoon57 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Definitely drinking. A lot of woman smoke marijuana during their pregnancy and have very healthy babies, its the same with breastfeeding. That can not be said for alcohol though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would imagine that marijuana is actually somewhat safer than other anti-anxiety medications and that is why the doctor prescribed it.

It takes alcohol 2 hours to get to peak levels in breast milk, and even then after only 1 drink it is negligible and they cannot find it in the baby. One drink and not nursing at 2 hours after the drink (say, after baby goes to bed) is not going to do anything.

Marijuana use that is not in excessive amounts -- I don't imagine it'd do a whole lot to the baby, but in a larger amount I'm positive that they'd find it in baby's system. THC slows down the pre-frontal cortex.. I don't really think anyone would want to do that to their baby.

Tell your friend to toke up only after baby goes to bed so she has a good 5-6 hours before she nurses again.. she should be okay then. If she's anxious at other times and needes to nurse, well, probably in small amounts it's safer than valium?
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 9:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The thing I'm not sure about is why she has to smoke the marijuana. Medical prescriptions can be given so you can -eat- the marijuana so you don't have to smoke. There are also inhalers that have the THC.

I wonder why the doctor didn't prescribe.. say.. nutty bars laced with it or an inhaler??

JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 9:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2009