if u have a child or children under two to three yrs old.. how much decorative dangerous type stuff do u hve in the living area

.. do u have a dining room table?
we have med.. to small size 1000 square foot condo..we just have one two yr old..so far.. but we just have couches and tv.. in the living area.. and the kitchen and our bed room is gated off..how do u set up a xmas tree is a small house with a curious toddler.. random but it my ? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You set the tree up a few days before x-mas or you can get a gate that goes in a circle and put that around the tree. I don't leave my child alone in the living EVER so watch your child at all times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• we dont have very many knick knack types things out. I have them but my son is so active (3 next month) and sometimes he gets a little excited and throws things, so for the safety of my breakables they are put away. I do put a christmas tree up on the first of dec, but the ones in his reach are on the cheap side, he did break a few last year. Hopefully this year will be better.
    I know some moms will tell me just tell him no, he should listen, but hes a little boy and we have a dog, so between the two of them, something is bound to be broken. it sucks cause I do feel like we cant have anything nice til he's older
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We didn't have a problem. We got balls that don't break, and just put lights on the tree. She touched the balls a couple of times, we told her no, and that was the end of it. Just get UN-BREAKABLE balls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have no knick knacks or candles within her reach. For Christmas I have a fake mini tree which sits up high, so no problems there either. I'll do a real tree when she's old enough to appreciate it :)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I had a ton of stuff around when my youngest was under 17 months. Then we moved back to the house I grew up in (and where my older 3 kids were toddlers) and I had long ago put up most of the stuff to protect it from the kids (my mom's stuff and my mom died in 2000).
    As for the tree. I taught my kids to leave it alone. When my older kids were toddlers (and I had 3 toddlers at once). I stuck the tree in the corner with an end table and chair on other side of it. If they were caught touching the tree they got their hand smacked. They learned real quick to leave it alone. When my youngest was 20 months old the tree was right out in the dining room. The next year when she was 2 1/2 it was in front of the windows completely open (I used a rope to anchor it to the windows because our stand is wobbly). She never touched the tree once either year because she knew better already.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• When my girls were little we had a 3 or 4 foot Christmas tree that we put on the end table in the living room. It was high enough for our girls to look at, but not too easily accessible. Since I never let my little ones out of my sight in the home, except for their naps, I was quick to teach them not to touch the end table or try to touch the tree.
    Now that I'm raising my infant granddaughter and she will be 10 months old at Christmas and we don't have that little tree anymore, I will be teaching her not to go near the tree to play. Little ones just need constant attention is all.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Forgot to answer the knick-knacks question.....I don't have any within her reach because all my decorations go on the walls and on shelves, windowsills, and tabletops. If she were older and climbing or reaching high then I would teach her not to touch just as I would with anything else. Of course, the more you say no or don't touch, the more they are going to do it, so I will be diverting her attention to her toy's section or playing with her - she loves for me to read to her and sing and dance with her.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We were lucky enough to have a family room and a living room, so nothing was in the living room except for couches. We didn't have any tables, decor, etc. The kids had their toy chest in there and it was their play area. It was really child-proof. For Xmas, we'd put up our tree but we didn't have glass ornaments at the bottom so if they took a ball or 2 it was no big deal. And we told them that the lights on the tree were hot so they knew not to touch them.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009