Not my son but my brother...

He's 10 years old and obsessively watches all of those "tween" shows. (icarly and Hannah Montana and the like)I don't think its good for him because he is now insisting he needs a girlfriend and saying he needs to go out on dates! Also my 6 year old little sister is already boy crazy and telling me how she is kissing boys at school. I told my mom that maybe these shows aren't such a good idea and she blew me off saying it was just easier to let the kids watch what they want.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the above stated style of show for young kids?

RoRoMommy

Asked by RoRoMommy at 3:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think most shows in general dont send great messages anymore. My 2y/o DD came in the kitchen while I was cooking and said "Your going down tubby" come to find out she heard it on SPONGEBOB!!! She doesnt watch that anymore, I would really closly monitor what they are able to watch because they all have "small" things that arent appropriate for kids to see.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:02 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't allow my step-children watch icarly. At there home thewy watch whatever there mother lets them but they know under this roof things shows like that will not be watch they can get pissies all they want. I think you really need you mother to watch a few shows and maybe that will open her eyes up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son is 12 and he watches Icarly. Hates Hannah Montana however. He has no interest in girls what so ever. I think your brother's peers have a bigger influence than television. I think ICarly is a great show. I cannot see where it would influence that kind of thinking or behavior. It encourages creativity, good grades, a loving brother/sister relationship an friendship. I watched an entire season and there was talk of only one kiss. That was between good friends Samantha and Freddie. They felt awkward because they had never kissed anyone before. They went on the web show to say that is okay not to have been kissed. Now Hannah Montana is another thing, all those girls think about are boys.
    Sounds like to me your brother and sister are craving attention. We didn't have shows like this 25 years ago and we still had little playground "boyfriends" and " girlfriends" I would suggest they receive more one on one attention.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 7:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I had my first kiss in Kindergarten with a boy named Tony, and that was 35 years ago! We didn't have "I-Carly" or "Hannah Montana" back then, it is just silly kid stuff. I work with K-5, and the kids are all about "boyfriends" and "girlfriends", but then they tire of it and go back to playing Pokemon and puppies. Let your brother be, he will be fine!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I agree with the two Previous Posters.

It's just kid stuff. It's not serious. I love iCarly... haha I'm a kid at heart and think the show is hilarious. Not a Hannah Montana fan though. As someone else said.. that show is all about boy and being the most popular. Not good for a girl to watch. Even that's not as bad as Lizzie McGuire was though... At least Hannah Montana has the whole "famous" thing in the show. Lizzie was ALL about boys and popularity.
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Those shows are no worse than Saved By The Bell. I watched that growing up and it didn't have any influence on how I was. My 11 year old watches icarly and I've watched it with him. It's a cute show.
    Jerbear_1974

Answer by Jerbear_1974 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son is 13 and watched Hannah Montana, ICarly, etc and he is not a girl crazy boy. He has no interest in girls, yet. To him and his friends...these shows are just shows..they are pretend and nothing like their real lives. I think kids are more influenced by their peers in real life than the shows they watch on tv. They also may be picking things up from adults around them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I agree with tyfry7698 i think the imfluence comes from the kids in school.not the tv shows not really anyway.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My 11 yo watches "icarly". I watch it with her, and I enjoy it. That and "That's So Raven" are both good shows, really very positive messages I think, and lots of Girl Power! DD also understands they are only entertainment, but thinks Raven's clothes rock the house LOL.

Ten and wanting a girlfriend? I don't think there's really anything unusual about that. Seems like a lot of the kids in my daughters school are heading in that direction... mostly the girls... thanks to their peers.

Now, my 6 yo son... he's got about 349 girlfriends and he is going to marry every single one of them! I'm pretty sure that's totally normal too, especially because we have a "woman heavy" family and we all adore him! I think at that age, they're just realizing that hey! we're not the same! and it's just the prelude to the "ewwww, you have COOTIES" stage!
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 4:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009