1 week old fussy sleeper

i breastfeed my dd and when she falls asleep n i put her down she wakes up and crys n screams and goes crazy.idk whats wrong.what could it be and what can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hold her while she sleeps.
    i went on little to no sleepfor the first month because of that.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• ok but wut about at night time?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I held her while she slept as well... or laid next to her for the first 2 mos. After that she slept through the night so I put her in the crib at night. Use her sleeping as time for you to sleep. Holding her is what makes her comfortable. She is only a week old and was inside you sleeping with you all the time so the sudden change is hard for her to deal with. When she gets a little bit bigger they have cd's with mothers heartbeat and that helped my dd go to sleep at night on her own at 3 mos.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Even at night time.
    I cant tell you how many times id fall asleep with the boppy pillow on my lap sitting on the couch you have to do whatever it takes.
    your baby will grow out of it.
    Remember they spent 9 months warm and safe in your womb now its a big cold world they need that feeling of safety .
    You will be tired an dcranky but your baby will grow out of it in a few weeks.
    WHen your baby is a little older maybe a month or two you can always try the swing let your baby sleep in that .
    I dont suggest doing it tho til a little older since your baby right now really doesnt have much control of his body .
    But it is an idea for later when your little ones gets teh fussys at night.
    I did that with my daughter once in a while . She is 4 months and just now sleeps great in her crib for about 9 hours straight at night,
    Good luck :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:03 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Try putting her down awake, before she falls asleep - when she's drowsy, but not quite asleep.

Answer by missanc at 7:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Do you lay her on her back??? Cause that isn't very gentle on the tummy, put her on her side and make sure she's slightly awake. Also when she fusses just go pat her and rub her back, usually when you leave them alone they fall back asleep. Holding them when they sleep is all fine and fun, but some kids never out grow the need to be held asleep and that's a pain in the butt for parents lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Okay, have you tried swaddling her very tightly and putting on white noise, like a vaccuum cleaner or a loud fan or static from a radio? What about putting baby in a swing with a pacifier? Or just holding baby while she sleeps.. you could also co-sleep if you're not someone with night terrors. I could never co-sleep because I get night terrors and attack people.

Night and day are not really distinguished at a week old. She'll get up every hour to every couple hours 24/7 .. the only distinction they make is one that -you- make.. ie: keep it dark and quietish at night vs. daytime noisy and bright. Eventually she'll discern between night and day and sleep more at night than during the day, but right now she doesn't! It took my son 4 months before he really slept much at night.

Also, see if daddy will take turns holding baby some. My DS would sleep for 30 minute stretches on daddy's chest so I could rest :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 9:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The person before me who is talking about "going and patting" baby must not have breastfed.

They need to eat every hour or two, you can't just go "pat their back" .. =p
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 9:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Get used to it. Welcome to motherhood. :) lol. seriously it took a long time to get my baby to sleep good and he still has a hard time if he wakes up and I am not there to cuddle him. I did not breastfeed though so you are in a different challenge. You will have to feed at night for longer most likely. . and a one week old baby has just been rudely put into the world after being cozy and secure. cant expect them to adjust right away. Try swaddling. This will prevent the startle reflex newobrns have from waking them up....good luck but really...the first few weeks are very hard for this reason. get sleep when you can, soothe your baby and put her back to sleep when she needs it. Eventually you look back and cant believe its been 5 months and your son sleeps 11 hours! haha (me)
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• also sleeping with a baby in your bed is not safest....if you are dead tired or a deep sleeper things could go horribly wrong. I would suggest one of those co-sleeper beds that at least has a barrier between you and baby but then she will be right there when you need to breastfeed or she wakes up for any other reason, at least your not getting up out of bed 10 times.....or put the crib/bassinet in your room for the first couple months. But sleeping while holding your baby is not going to give you much rest. ..think about it, ppl claim that they are aware while sleeping with baby, but that means your not getting your normal deep sleep that everyone requires, and if you do get that deep restfull sleep then you are NOT aware while holding the baby.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009