what can cause your water to break?

I am 29 weeks pregnant and curious on what can cause your water to break?

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Having lots of sex (if possible), some say walk alot, and exercise (if you were already not start exercising if you weren't already). My grandmother said she took castor oil, but that was 59 years ago when my dad was born. For me, my husband made be laugh so hard that it broke, however, I was 39 weeks. I hope this helps. ALso, ask the advice nurse or you ob/midwife at your next visit for suggestions.

Answer by 2taurusmom at 4:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My friend's water broke when she got the flu and coughed. Her baby was born 2 months (8weeks) early! But all is well.

Answer by zweedledee at 6:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• some times it wont on its own and the doctors might have to do it for you

Answer by edwinsmom2008 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I am the only one that I know other than my mother that thier water broke on its own. My water broke when I was on my 3rd day of induction. I got up to go to the bathroom and tada. I thought I had peed on my self...hehe. Then I looked down and realized that it wasn't urine. But I have heard sex. Just make sure you don't start trying till you are at least 37 wks.

• You know, my husband and I tried EVERYTHING to jump start labor! Spicy foods, Sex 3 times a day, nipple stimulation, exercises (I was chasing cows the day before I went into labor!)... In the end, I was put on strict bedrest, and for the first time, I took it easy all day and allowed my mother to wait on me hand and foot... and as soon as I just stopped trying so hard, it was at 11:30 that night that my water broke. :)

Answer by Mommy2BeNBaby2 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2008