Toddler sleeping problems! Please help

My 2 1/2 year old is pretty good when it comes to sleeping. We fight sometimes putting him to bed. I have a great routine which he knows from start to end and won't let me skip a step. Around 8 pm we take a bath if needed, brush our teeth and go to his bed for story time. After story time we say our prayers and then I have a few songs i sing to him. He still gets out of bed several times, sometimes taking hours to get him to finally fall asleep. I know he is tired he just refuses to sleep. It's not like that all the time, other times he goes right to sleep. Yes, he still naps a few hours a day when he really needs it. The real problem is him waking me up 3 or 4 times a night just so I will walk him back to his bed. He falls right back to sleep everytime. It is very frustrating trying to fall back to sleep 3 or 4 times a night when I am a restless sleeper anyways. Any Help out there?

Skylors_mom2007

Asked by Skylors_mom2007 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know, we had to Gate our daughter in her room, infact we had to use 2 gates, 1 right on top of the other. Don't walk him back to his room just firmly tell him to go back to bed and stay there.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i had to do the same thing with my daughter...one babygate on top of the other...i did it more for the fact our bedrooms were upstairs, and i was afriad of her sleepwalking off the stairs...lol but when she got a bit older and i knew i could take down the gates she did the same thing and slipped into my room waking me up...i would give her a hug and tell her to go back to bed...the thing was she was tired enough she would listen without a fight and turn right back around and go....basically just be firm but loving...he knows you will get up for him....now time to show him hes a big boy and mommy doesnt have to :)
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My daughter would go explore the house at 2-3am. I would wake up the next am and find a box of cookies in bed with her or a box of cake lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I was getting ready to ask the same kind of question. My daughter wakes up between 3 and 5 am (usually just once). I have a baby gate up most nights, so she'll just stand there and cry. She'll starting going "moooooooomeeeeeeeeee" and I can only ignore it for so long. I pick her up, she puts her head on my shoulder and is out. I put her back in her bed and she's out for the rest of the night. I have no idea why she wakes up or how to get her to go back to sleep on her own. She used to be so good at night.

This week, I'm going tot ry ignoring her again and see if she's go back to sleep on her own. Usually, I'm just sooo tired that early in the morning that I just so I don't have to hear her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2009