rasing my kids and his??

im 21 i have a 2yr old and a 9 month old. my DH has a 4 yr old and an almost 3 yr old. I have all four of them all the time. i dont mind i did get in the relationship knowing he had kids. I need some advice on racing 4 kids!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Schedule, Get up at a certain time, eat at a certain time, take a nap at a certain time, go to sleep at a certain time. It will make life a lot easier.

Answer by louise2 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• A schedule is a good idea. Another idea is be consistant- for example- if they can't have a snack till after lunch stand firm, do not let them have a snack before lunch one day and then not the next. It sends mixed messages when you are not consistant. I also tell my kids 'NO means NO' - my middle is a good one for begging and I tell him NO, and it means NO. I do not give in.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Wow, you have your hands full. It would seem you are a reasonable woman as you stated that you knew what you were getting into at the time you met him. But that is a lot of kids pretty darn close in age. My boys are 13 months apart now 3 and 4 yrs old...they are 2 of 5 kids. Some days I am ready to pull my hair out. I would say for the most part, be as organized as possible. Have as much structured play as you can. Kind of like running your own daycare. I would insist on nap especially for the youngest ones, so you can get some small break. But I would work like hell to make them all on the same play, eating, sleeping schedule. Not every day will be perfect, but if you work at it you will get there. Set up a schedule for yourself and follow it. Story time, play time, snack time etc, It helps the day go fast. Also, try to hook up with a friend, share the load and pass the time. GL
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:09 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We have a blended family of 4, with a fifth on the way! Be consistent about rules and consequences, and stick with a routine. I have definitely had to become a much more structured mom as my family has grown. Don't try to do it all yourself, get DH to help, and get the kids to take responsibility too!

Check out this group Step Moms With Bio Kids. It's a great group of moms with blended families and they are all very helpful and supportive!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/31609
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2009