Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If they have a nut free school, what about other Allergy?

I think if they have nut free zone; they should ban other things that people are allergic to. If your child is allergic to Peanut that can be deadly, maybe they should be home school. If they find a job in the future, should the company it a nut free zone. that is just dumb.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (16)
  • I agree. Don't get me started on this subject!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Right children should die because you are too lazy or unimaginative to find something else to feed your kid.
    Get over it and quit bitching about it. If it was your kid who could die because he touched a peanut, you would be in favor of it.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • now you have to understand this is in schools because as children its harder for them to manage something as serious as this...kids should be free to not stress over things like this...they will have to do that as they get older anyway...i understand them doing it in schools since children might not understand yet the seriousness of this problem...but in work environments thats up to the individual to control.
    blueeyedgrl2377

    Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I don't know too many adults that pack PB and J sandwiches and take to work. As an adult your more aware of say a 4 yo of what you can and can't tolorate. Get over your self and stop being a complete beotch about peanut allergies. It can kill someone. Glad your not my mom.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • First of all, my son's school was poultry free one year because of an allergy issue. That meant no chicken or turkey, no eggs or anything containing eggs including mayo. It was tricky, but really a lot less tricky than having to explain the severe illness or death of a classmate to my child.

    Secondly, these are children. A 5, 6, 7 year old shouldn't be responsible for making sure that every surface they may come into contact with has no peanut residue. Yeah, not every allergic kid needs to ingest it, for some merely coming into contact with the residue left by your child on a doorknob can be enough to set off a severe allergic reaction. As they age, they do and should become more responsible for themselves, but just like we make them hold our hands crossing the street, at a younger age kids need us to protect them from dangers. "The freedom of the person ends where it limits the freedom of his fellow man."
    canadianmom1974

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I have a kid with a different food allergy. I will always be respectful and do my best to keep peanut and nut products at home. His is not life threatening, I can tell his teacher to keep his allergen away from him and he is learning now what he can't ingest, but he doesn't know it all.

    Something as simple as keeping a potentially deadly allergen away from a YOUNG CHILD is easy. But then...being selfish and not caring is easy, too apparently.

    An adult with the allergy in the work place is totally different. An adult can take care of himself.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Keeping the allergn away from kids is not easy. Kids will sneak in candy such as snickers or foods they don't even know are cooked in peanut oil. They will also eat at home or munch on the bus and think they are OK becuase they arent' at school yet. Then they will bring the allergn into the school. That's a lot of responsiblity to put on a child. I'm sorry, but if your child is that high risk you need to find antoher avenue rahter than eliminating the allergn from the school. Maybe a peanut free lunch room and classroom. But to think your child is truely safe just because the school is "peanut free" is just lulling you and your child into a false sense of security. The child needs to learn to act as though no one knows of the allergy and take the precautions necessary. I just think something is going to slip thorugh the cracks and something bad will happen because everyone at the school has because complaicient.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I do think that schools should make every effort to keep the school free of other allergens to which a student at the school is deadly allergic.
    riotgrrl

    Answer by riotgrrl at 11:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • What about teacher's perfumes? Air fresheners they spray in class? Other students perfumes and sprays? I had a class after lunch that the teacher always stunk like cheap perfume, she smoked and tried to hide her smoke smell with perfume. I sat by her desk and always got a horrible headache everyday in this class, she refused to move me to the back so I started popping Tylenol in her class and holding my nose from her smell. When I got in trouble for having Tylenol in my possession, my mom and I had a fit with the administration. I also got in trouble because a student had an asthma attack from her smell and her inhaler was out so I gave her mine. Yeah I got in trouble to saving someones life....BS.

    I understand about food allergies, our school system didn't forbid these items, they said whatever you bring, you eat, NO SHARING or trading. No outside food was allowed for the entire class unless you ate what you brought.
    momtotrips

    Answer by momtotrips at 12:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Give me a break. Would you homeschool your child if they had a nut allergy? That would be discrimination. The reason schools are becoming nut free is because it is so deadly and is an allergy that people do not outgrow. Also. young children don't always know what is in their food and they could give another child something that has nuts in it and that child has a deadly reaction.

    momtotrips: you were WRONG to give a child your inhaler. The school could have been held liable if anything happened to that child because you gave her a medication that wasn't prescribed to her. It was a nice thought, but one that could have had deadly consequences. I would NEVER give a child that isn't mine or a close friend ANY medication.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN