Fire Ants

Has anyone else's child been bit by fire ants? My son has like 30-40 bites on his ankles (and like 10 on his groin where one must have slipped up his shorts). I took him to the dr and they said fire ants, but my son didn't feel them when they bit. I am just still surprised that he didn't feel them - it supposedly hurts a lot. Has anyone else had experience with fire ant bites not hurting? Also - how did you get rid of the fire ants in your yard?

Asked by missanc at 9:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• We have a friend who is an exterminator and he came and sprayed the yard and we haven't had a problem with them. As for the fire ants not hurting I've been bitten by them and honestly I didn't feel it until after the fact.

trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Their is a product out there that you can buy to get rid of them.

Answer by louise2 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We've been trying to treat them in the yard for a like a year now - I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with a product that has worked.

Answer by missanc at 9:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I bought something at Lowe's that you sprinkle on the site where they are. But you might want to call one of those bug companies, they might be able to help.

Answer by louise2 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• thank you - i was told i might need to treat the whole yard, and that sounds like the way to go.

Answer by missanc at 9:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• They are all over my yard also. It always hurts me and my husband when we get bit by them but some people dont feel it. My sister never does. But my husband just puts some lighter fluid on the ant hill and burns them lol. It works till they go to another part of out yard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2009