Any new Momma's loosing handfuls of hair??!!

My DD is 4 months old and I am loosing tons of hair! This has been going on for a couple of months - anyone else having/had this problem? (I had a C-Section and I could not BF, I do not know if this has anyting to do with it).
I am healthy and I take Vitamins, the Dr. just kinda shrugged it off.
Thanks!

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 9:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's completely normal. All women go through it. If it lasts past a year though you need to see a doctor.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My curly hair became straight hair after chldbirth. I also lost a ton of hair and "freaked out." I was also under a lot of stress as my hubby back then was abusive (another story).

Yes, my hair did grow back, some of the curl has returned, but it's "thinner" than it used to be.

Keep eating right, take vitamins, and exercise. Healthy body = healthy hair
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yeah my son is 3 and a half months old and im loosing alot of hair too. i read in a book that your hair gets much thicker when your pregnant, and then once you have the baby, all the extra hair starts to fall out and goes back to the way it was before you were pregnant.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's the change in hormones....it's completely normal......it will fill back in soon....no worries
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It happened to me too. I thought i was going to go bald but by 6 months it stopped and i still have hair. It's totally normal.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Basically how it works is this. Hair follicles have a growth cycle and a dormant cycle. During the growth cycle hair grows and during the dormant cycle the hair falls out. When you're pregnant the hormones keep the hair from falling out, but afterwards as your hormones go back to normal all the hair that should have fallen out during pregnancy falls out in a much shorter time period. So you're only losing hair that you would have anyway, it's just that instead of happening over 9 months or so, it happens over 3 or so.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Phew! Thanks ladies - I knew I was going to be bald by the time she was 6 months old at this rate!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Totally normal... it's because you don't loose much hair while pregnant and then it starts falling out when the hormone levels drop... some people loose more hair and get bald spots! BUT... it grows back! I can see where a bunch of mine is growing back when I wear my hair up because i have all kinds of short hair that doesn't fit into a ponytail.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I was losing bunches of hair until my son was 6 months. I thought I was gonna turn bald, but it's normal to lose hair. And it stops eventually.
    lesjoiesdemaman

Answer by lesjoiesdemaman at 10:36 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm glad u posted this..lol my sons a year old now and it stopped a long time ago but I remember when I went to visit my mom when he was 3 months old and I kept stopping up her shower and she kept getting mad..now I can say it was normal..lol
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 5:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009