What are you doing to have enjoyable holidays with out breaking the bank?

Holidays are coming up fast. How are you giving yourself and the kids good memories without breaking the bank

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 9:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• I buy stuff throughout the year so my kids can have gifts they want and I am not stressed at Christmas time. I am actually done with my Christmas shopping the gifts are wrapped and in a storage closet until December. I am going to buy new lights and will buy some new outdoor decorations. We make about 2k more a month than we did last year so I can have some of the stuff I have not been able to buy before. We have a brand new house so we really want to light it up this year. My kids love the presents and lights but they love the time with family more. We have our traditions of the whole family over for dinner on Christmas Eve night then we all go to the church to read the story of Christs birth and pray together. It is a beautful experience. We then go sing Christmas Carols at the nursing home as a family. The whole family woudl give up gifts for all of that if necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have never understood the idea that the holidays need to be expensive to be enjoyable and memorable. We buy just one new decoration every year, and date it. This way next year when we get them out we can share the memories of looking for it, and about last year (or the years prior) And for gifts we have a spending limit of just $40 each. Again, this isn't because we don't want to spend the money but because we don't see it as needed. I make a special dinner each time and we unplug the tvs & games. Because we are a multi-religious household we have a number of games and stories to share and even get two seperate days sometimes. For us, the holidays aren't about money or spending, but family and time together...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I shop garage/rummage sales, thrift stores and family dollar stores. Even after holiday specials work too for me.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We do spend about $5 a year on candy for the trick or treaters. And we all have costumes for every day dress up and play, so they just get reused... There is no reason for new ones when the kids will just out grow them anyways. They love to dress up all the time Samhain/Halloween just happens to be the only day they get to do it outside... lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I look for the free or cheap actives, There are lots of festivals fairs and events for kids that are free or really really cheap. Here there is a halloween street fair, with costume contest, trick or treating a live band and different crafts the kids can do for free or next to nothing. As far as christmas there are a ton of tree lighting ceremonies, santa sightings and other functions that are free. I would check your local community calendars. I got mine from the library.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• For Halloween - inexpensive costumes (last year for dd - black leggings and tshirt she already had so we bought cat ears and tail, i drew on whiskers and nose; middle son - jeans and button up shirt plus toy "whip," we bought an Indiana Jones hat; oldest son - pirate - we bought a hat and eye patch, frayed some too small pants and a tshirt) and trick or treating is free, plus many churches do a "fall festival" with games and inflatables. Thanksgiving - family time, pot luck dinner. Christmas - we have a large extended family so we draw names for adults and buy one gift, we all buy inexpensvie (less than $15) gifts for the kids. For Santa, we set a spending limit for our kids and stick to it. Last year it was $150 each but could be less - and then we shop sales and rebate specials. Definitely attend community events - parades, tree lightings, etc. and just spend time together.

Answer by missanc at 10:10 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I've been making money on the side to help save up, plus we are cutting back in general. I've already talked to my teenager about and my toddler doesn't understand the concept of how much things cost anyway.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• They love to dress up all the time Samhain/Halloween just happens to be the only day they get to do it outside... lol!

My son and his friends wear their costumes outside year round. Yesterday they were all dressed as batman and were running around. You would have thought it was Halloween.lol We use them for play as well. We buy them discounted at Target and the mall after Halloween.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It doesn't always cost a lot of money to give our lil ones a memorable holiday season. We have family gatherings, do our yearly holiday traditions, etc. I recently started working from home to make some extra money to help out. Message me if you're interested.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 12:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have been selling the Scentsy candles to help with the Holidays (http://www.scentsy.com/kblack)  and I set aside money all year to help..

patchthatpays

Answer by patchthatpays at 1:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009