should people on welfare be required to take a urine test to qualify &/or sustain it?

This was in the news yesterday. It was a debate over the fact that some guys were saying they have to take company urine tests on a routine basis to keep their jobs. They said they didn't mind, but they also want to see people on welfare subjected to the same policies, after all, it was their tax dollars supporting these people who are getting a "free pass" to continue using welfare w/o the any requiremnts, like jobs have. They called it the "urine or your out" program! Thought that was cute.

The men said that it seems the only people who argue this point are the people who are on welfare, but the people who work support the urine tests and requirements to sustain welfare.

My hubby and i both have to take urine tests for our jobs (insurance co. & hospital worker), so i understand. I aslo happen to agree. I've met plenty of people who abuse the system, i can understand these men.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sure, why not... Hubby and I also have to take them for work. No big deal!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Drug tests and alcohol tests are fine with me, and the expense should come out of their benefit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• this question was asked the other day.. and what does it matter? i know people that can pass the test. i know ppl that use other ppls piss bc they hide it on themselve. also some ppl take meds. If they are goin to be ignorant to get help nothings goin to change that. they can send ppl in with their information and tell them to piss in the cup for them too. there are ways around that!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My kids are on Medicaid and Wic. I would pee in a cup anyday. So bring it on.
    Anonymous

• They do not give routine urinalysis to police officers or to teachers or to congressmen. Until the whole world participates in those tests, I say NO.

Anonymous

• I agree, I think it is 100% a wonderful idea.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I wouldnt care... but honestly, do you know how easy it is to pass a drug test? Not to mention how quickly most drugs flush out of your system (with the exception of marijuana)? Do you realize how much those tests costs? So yeah, we'd possibly eliminate the pot smokers... but you know, i'm more worried about the hardcore drug users instead.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• 100% agree.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm torn on this one. I agree with you, but what if mommy fails and then the kids go without food, it's not their fault that mommy is a loser and then they suffer:(
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 9:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I've worked in a grocery store for some time now and the things you see will really piss you off. I believe there should be drug testing. I also believe there should be completely random home inspections to make sure these people on welfare are purchasing things to benefit their children. I think there should be a certain amount of time someone is allowed to receive benefits. I understand that times get tough and people need help but some people make a habit out of living off the government and that needs to be eliminated.

trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009