What's the deal with children with Autism unable to digest wheat and milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• gluten and casein are common food allergies, so it is not suprising that alot of children with ADHD/Atusim are having problem with these foods, i seriously doubt there is a link, though
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• There's tons of research online. The theory is that it has something to do with their intestines. My oldest has autism and we did a gluten/casein free diet for a while and saw no improvement in his symptoms. BTW - it's not wheat and milk, it's wheat gluten and casein, the proteins that are in wheat and milk. But wheat gluten and casein are in tons of other food products, other than just wheat and milk so it's HUGE undertaking to decide to try the diet. I found it very expensive and labor intensive - and it takes a very long time for the gluten to get out of their system, so you need to commit to it for at least six months if not a full year before you can make any decision about improvement.

Answer by missanc at 9:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Not all autistic kids benefit form a gluten and casein free diet. Not all ADHD kids benefit from it either.

And there are kids who can't have those things who are neither Autistic nor ADHD, too.

But then, if you knew the right items, you'd know that instead of just trying to start something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think further studies are being done to determine if the chidlren that benefit from this diet are actually autistic, or if it's a side effect of hte intollerance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I work in a restaurant and there are tons of people coming in asking for gluten free menu items, and not all of them have autism.

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son has Autism, and wheat/gluten/dairy do not bother him at all. Some parents choose to do the GFCF diet- which works for some, not for all.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009