I'd like to volunteer in my son's classroom but the teacher "doesn't need help"

I'd like to volunteer in my son's classroom but when I told his teacher about it, she said that she already has someone who has being helping her for 3 years and she does not need more helpers. I am not convinced with the answer and I think that this could be and excuse to avoid people into her classroom. My intention is not to bother I only want to help in his classroom and get more involved in his educational process. I asked at the office about the volunteers and they told me that this depends only on the teachers. Last year I did it, but this year I feel like I have a wall in front of me... What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had the same thing happen, the teacher turned down my offer of help, and I would have been glad to help the children or make snacks or whatever she wanted. There's nothing you can do, it's her decision.

Answer by Bmat at 10:03 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Maybe with her past experience the child gets too clingy with the moms/dads that volunteer and it actually will just make it harder on her than easier.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Try to volunteer in a different part of the school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I've never heard of a teacher turning down help! I would definitely volunteer in the school if you can't in her classroom - maybe the library, office help, or the cafeteria? Maybe she's shy with adults and if she gets to know you a little she'll let you help? I would be wary if a teacher wouldn't let me come and volunteer.

Answer by missanc at 10:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Maybe just write her a letter and tell her you want to and just give her an example of what u mean.Maybe just wait a little while school just started too maybe everyone wants to help all at once.Maybe you could bring in a snack.
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Sounds fishy to me. I always welcomed parents in my classroom. School is a public institution. I'd be leary of those teachers who refuse help. If she said something about not being in the same class as your own child, I may see that as rational, but to say "No" is not right. I'd make visits to the class throughout the year. You should have a right to know what is going on in your child's classroom. I'd like to see every classroom with cameras so you can watch what happens via the internet. What is she hiding??

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Maybe she's worried that you being in the classroom will distract your son and make her job harder. All teachers have their own way of doing things and that's how they are comfortable. I'd either volunteer in another part of the school or see if there is anything you can help with at home. Part of going to school is helping the child become more independent and to do things without mom or dad.

trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I agree with all the PP, it is weird she said "no" , but maybe there is a reason. IDK Maybe ask for the phone number of who she does let help, then offer your help to that person. Volenteer in other parts of the school is a good idea too. Join the PTO and go to meetings, offer to help out in the office making copies or opening mail. Once you are in and get to meet a few people, I am sure you will be needed more than you can imagine. Maybe offer to help run fundraisers, breakfast with MOM or juice with Dad type events.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I mean no disrespect toward u cuz I too would find that a bit disturbing...but there is NO WAY I could work in the same classroom as my younget dd! I have to put her on the bus @ 630am! Otherwise, she clings to me & cries if I take her to school! Like some of the other ladies have suggested though, I'd try to help anywhere in the school just to keep an eye on him as close as you could. Peek in the room occasionally, just don't let them see! Lol GL
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 10:36 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• They don't have parent helpers at our school as far as I know. The preschool and kindergarten have a paid assistant that helps out but that's it. The older classrooms don't have helpers. It's distracting for the kids.
    My mom volunteered in my brother's kindergarten class and all he did was whine and cry and try to get all her attention. He threw tantrums because my mom was helping one of his classmates and was just generally disruptive to the whole class. She ended up having to change to helping the other kindergarten class and she helped for 3 years (long after my brother moved up) and never had that problem with other kids, just my brother.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2009