What is everyone's opinion about whether a child should receive the mothers, or father last name?

I have one child, and I gave her my last name, even though the guy didn't want me to, I also didn't mention him on the birth certificate. Him and I have a bad history with alotta abuse and he's kinda dysfunctional.... Well anyways, I am about to have a second baby with a different guy, and despite the fact that he said he'd be there through my pregnancy he hasn't. Originally the baby was going to have his last name, but now I am kinda feeling like why should the baby have his last name? He isn't here being helpful in any way. Plus, despite the fact that mmy kids have different fathers, I think allowing them to have the same last name would be best....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• your kid... give it any name you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Imo if you are with the babys daddy an plan on staying with him than i would give the child his last name! But if i was in your postion i would give the child my last name!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• In your case - absolutely give the child the mother's name. If a couple are married - then the father's name should be the child's name.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:12 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My cousin has two kids by two different fathers, but they have her last name.

My ex SIL had 4 kids by 4 different daddies (not my brother thankfully), only one has her last name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm married and if we have a boy it will have my husband's last name, and if a girl it will have mine.

I wanted to pass on my name too. I like my name just as much as he likes his and I didn't change my name when we got married.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter these days if there are different last names. My brothers don't have the same last name as me, but that makes no difference to us. Our grandparents and relatives have different names -- it doesn't matter then either!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• my dd & ds have OUR last name, i took his name when we got married but if i were in your situation & had 2 baby daddy's and didn't plan my pregnancies then i'd give them my name
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• give the baby your last name. it sounds like you can't even be sure this guy will be in your kid's life so why should they have the same name?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I believe that if the father is in the childs life in any way then the child should take his last name but if the father is out of the picture completely, meaning he has no contact nor pays any child support for that child then the child should take the mothers last name.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 1:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You sure can pick 'em!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009