How do I make him understand?

My ex husband and I live 2 states away. He is supposed to get the kids every 3rd weekend, thanksgiving, and Christmas eve until 9 p.m. and 2 weeks out of the summer. He hasn't seen them since giving them back this summer at the beginning of July and called to schedule a visit in August, but the weekend he choose was the one weekend I had something planned with our daughter that couldn't be rescheduled. Never asked for another weekend until now. He called last week to see about a visit and choose a weekend that was fine clear up until I told him that our children had dentist appt. the day before so they would be cranky. Then he no longer wanted them that weekend so now it will be the end of Sept. before he sees them again. I don't have a problem with him paying his child support anymore because they just take it out of his check. But he thinks 276 a month for 3 kids is to much. What should I do.

crys630

Asked by crys630 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• You don't set the support amount Child Support does...so too bad so sad for him. As far as his wanting them, stick to the schedule. If he wants them more than that and you are willing to let him, then he has to take them when it works for you. Beggars cannot be choosers. You sound like you are willing to work with him on things...I don't see the problem. If he has an issue with his support amount, tell him to get a lawyer...it is not your job to set the amount.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:17 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's not too much, if anything it's too little but that's the set amount and it's not an issue since his wages are garnished. I think it would be really hard to see the kids every 3rd weekend living two states away and since he sees them so little, I can understand him not wanting them when they might be cranky. I'm not sure what your question is?

Answer by missanc at 10:17 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Unless it is something really unusual, their schedules should take his weekends into consideration. He should be able to count on when he has them. He may be feeling that there are obstacles toward his having them, and so he backs off. It would be kind to keep his scheduled times open.

Answer by Bmat at 10:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009