Hello, I have a 2 year old that's been around another child that swears all the time and now my son wont stop saying them what do i do?

my 2 year old wont stop swearing. he learned them from another child. How do I get him to stop swearing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't let him around that child anymore. My son picked up a bad word from another boy, and won't let him play with him now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I agree. Don't let him be around that child and totally ignore him when he says any of the words so eventually he will forget them.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Have consisent consequences for his words. He is in control of 2 things: words and actions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My SS has picked up certain words from the adults around him, which of course cannot be avoided. He will even use them correctly in his sentences which is pretty good considering he's still working on sentence structure. He has no idea what the words mean so we just ignore them and when we talk to him we use alternative words to the ones he uses in hopes he'll use them instead. I would agree that if this other child uses them frequently I would limit his time around him, but I also know that this can't always be avoided if it's a relative, a neighbor, or a child at daycare. Depending on the words being used, I would correct him each time he uses a word he shouldn't and if it gets really bad use time-out when he uses those words so he recognizes they are not acceptible words for him to be using.
    sarbar

Answer by sarbar at 10:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Don't do what my mom did to my baby brother.... every time he said a bad word she told him "Don't say that. That's a dirty word".... true story, when he started school he was terrified the day the teacher introduced the word THAT to the classroom. I learned my lesson from that - so I taught my kids what the dirty word was - if they learned an adult word and repeated it , I'd tell them "NO, don't say DAMN. Damn is a dirty word. Kids don't say Damn." Sounds odd - but it worked. To this day my sons don't use bad language in front of me. And they're 19 & 21. I know they use it (bad language) - but they voluntarily apologize and excuse themselves if they let one slip in front of me.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009