Do you ever get upset by some of the things that your religon gets attached to?

Do the things done in the name or your religion or done and then blamed on your religion tend to bother you?

I found this website that sells Chastity belts for the "modern" teen... It's run by a "christian" woman and even has "Jesus" in the site title. But the belts and other things on this site would be offencive to most Christians I know... So, does it bother you the things that are done in the name of your religion? Whatever it is. Or do you tend to just blow it off??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• See, I think things like that are going overboard. Our church has a purity program they teach, but I would be out the door if they tried to sell us on chastity belts. There is a limit to everything,and this one sounds like it crossed.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes. But only because it is a poor witness to other people who do not know the real Christianity. Some people are only willing to get their information about groups different than they are by watching the news, reading propaganda or seeing something like you mentioned and using it to interpret everything they see and hear about that group. When I talk to people about my faith, I often find that I have to completely explain out their misconceptions FIRST before I can even begin sharing basic truths. Even some of the very open-minded, non-Christian ladies here on CM that frequent the R&B section say things about Christianity that makes me scratch my head and say "WHERE in the WORLD did they get that?!"
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I am sometimes upset by the way other members of my religion choose to interpret things. I have also felt upset when people of my religion have felt the need to publicly defend the religion as if we have something to answer for. For the most part though, I accept that I can't be held responsible for the actions of others & as long as I am clear (when appropriate) that I don't agree with them, I feel I have done all I can to clear the air.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The baby killing/torturing/sacrificing accusations get really old with Satanism. It's interesting, though, how preoccupied some people seem to be with baby killing that this is the first thing that comes to their mind again and again......hmmmm....
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Wow, really? I thought chastity belts were a thing of the past, eeeesh. Of course I get bothered by some bad raps that atheists get. I've been told that I'm an instrument of Satan. I've heard people say that atheists eat babies and dance naked around fires. I don't know about you, but I am not going near a fire without any clothes anytime soon. I've been told that I'm angry at god, or that I'm trying to get "revenge" or that I'm just rebelling. It really sucks that atheism gets attached to all of these negative emotions and actions.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• That is really surprising about the chastity belts. A lot of you may not know this but, there is a whole sub culture of fetishists who find chastity belts erotic and a form of S & M.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• IM NOT OF ANY CERTAIN RELIGION AT THE MOMENT IM STILL TRYING HARD TO FIND WHAT I SEE FIT AS THE TRUTH (VERY DIFFICULT) BUT I WAS CATHOLIC AND MAN DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ...THAT IS THE MOST HYPOCRITICAL RELIGION EVER THEY CELEBRATE HOLIDAYS THAT THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ...LIKE HALLOWEEN ....AND CHRISTMAS .....THERE ARE WAY TO MANY DETAILS THAT THEY PAY NO ATTENTION TO ......PLUS MANY OF THE MEMBERS DON'T EVEN GO TO CHURCH..THEY THEY SHUN YOU IF YOU DO SOMETHING THEY DON'T LIKE,IF THEY WE LEGIT THEY WOULD TRY AND HELP YOU OUT INSTEAD OF PUSHING YOU AWAY..... THEY TAKE SOME THINGS LITERALLY AND OTHERS THEY PAY NO MIND TOO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes, anon... most of us do know that. That was the point. Once again Christianity is being labled as weird and confining... Like I said, the site does not protray Christianity well, even though that's what it's supposed to be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You mean aside from the white supremacist prison gangs who pretend to follow my faith as an excuse to get to meet together in private under the guise of constitutionally protected religious services?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• wow thats not really a way to teach purity. goodness.

Do I get bothered. it depends on what it is.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2009