When do I put my son in pull ups or big boy underwear?

I'm a first time mom and lately my son has been taking his diaper off frequently. He's been peeing on the potty the last few times I've put him on it. Just a few minutes ago he took his diaper off so I asked him if he wanted to go sit on the toilet and go potty. He ran to the bathroom I put him on the toilet and after about a minute he peed. I put his diaper on him and he immediately took it off so I put shorts on him so he couldn't. I just need advice when I switch to underwear for him. I don't want to quiet yet I want to wait til he uses it much more. I just need advice. He usually wakes up dry from naps but not at bed time, but I still give him a full sippy cup of milk right before he goes to bed. Should I start giving him his sippy cup an hour before bed instead?

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could switch him into "training pants" which are thicker than underwear, have some extra layers of absorbancy in the middle but yet are washable (cheaper than pullups). If he's started going to the potty, I would go ahead and switch during the day to encourage the potty. Use pullups/diapers at night until you notice they are dry in the morning. If you can move the nighttime snack up, it should help and make sure he tries to go to the potty last thing before he gets into bed.

Answer by missanc at 10:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I used the training pants too. I went through lots, I just kept some bleechy water nearby to rising them in before tossing into the laundry. He sounds like he's readyto train. Don't worry about nights, that's usually the last thing to tackle as 8 + hours is a long time for a toddler to hold their pee. I used a potty chair and left it in the living room where my daughter plays most often. She uses it herself when she has to go. She started a few times going with her undies on, so we had to work on that. But if he's taking his pants off when he's ready to go, it might be nice for him to have a small potty he can use on his own to go to without any help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would put him in undies during the day and go at it with the potty training. It sounds like he is ready! Night training usually takes a little longer, and I kept my kids in diapers at night until they were waking at night to pee and were consistently dry in the morning. It only took a couple months with 2 out of the 3, but was a little over a year for the other.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009