I'm just curious

When the economy floundered last fall, there were so many women who stated on here they were going to plant a garden and hoard food to feed their families and survive. How many of you actually planted a garden with enough produce to feed your families and survive? Or did you have to reach out to the government for food stamps? It's scary to know few people could actually survive on their own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have had a great garden this year.
    Several varieties of lettuce, radishes, yellow crookneck squash, zucchini, cucumbers, 4 kinds of peppers, pumpkin and TONS of tomatoes! I also grow a lot of different herbs. We are going to have a bigger one next year. We also went berrying and I have put up wild blackberry and wild huckleberry jam.

I really enjoy gardening. I have had to learn how to do it here though. We have a short growing season.

The boys have had a really good time "picking" the salad before dinner! We have done a good bit of eating the tomatoes right off the plants...they are so good on a warm summer afternoon.

Good ? OP!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I ended up getting free food from the Salvation Army and then was awarded some food stamps. I'm now working again and no food stamps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My husband got a huge raise we still planted a garden and I have not bought produce in a few months. I have been canning like crazy. Just because we have money doesn't mean I am not frugal. Fresh produce from your own garden just tastes better and is more healthy. We also have been putting money away since we got married unlike many Americans we have no debt so if my husband lost his job we could live as we do for 3 years if we cut back more we could go 5 more years. In that time I am sure he could find another executive position somewhere. I feel for those who never bothered to save and are scrambling right now. I was there as a child it was tough but our family made it out by cutting out all luxury items and by planting a garden. It was not an easy life but in time it got better. My dad knew it would and gave the whole family the patients to wait it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I always have a garden anyway. This year my bell peppers are HUGE & must have about 50 red bell peppers & about 20 green ones (i got sick of waiting for them to turn red).

Produce is expensive. I applaud anyone that takes the time for a garden, they are very rewarding. I don't think it has anything to do w/ survival. I think it had to do w/ saving a buck. That's why i do it. Prganic produce at my finger tips. And way to many jarred/pickled everything to know what to do with...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I started with a topsy turvy. Planted my tomato plants in May, STILL NOTHING! Argh.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have a decent sized garden, I grow vegetables and herbs and fruits, I even have some of our favorite tropical fruits in a back room with lights on them. I love to grow my own produce because I can grow them organically

trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have a garden. I would have one whether the economy was in turmoil or not. How is it scary to know people could survive on their own? My husband hunts and I love to fish. We provide for ourselves in that way as well as a garden. The Amish can provide for themselves as well as farmers. Are you saying they scare you?

Vampirekiss

Answer by Vampirekiss at 11:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Bexi,

I didn't have any luck with the topsy turvy last year. If you are short on space there is a really good variety of "patio" tomatoes. We got some for my Mom. She had quite a little crop from 2 plants.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:09 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I apologize. I misread that last sentence. Very sorry.
    Vampirekiss

Answer by Vampirekiss at 11:09 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "Bexi,

I didn't have any luck with the topsy turvy last year. If you are short on space there is a really good variety of "patio" tomatoes. We got some for my Mom. She had quite a little crop from 2 plants."

Thanks! I'm moving soon and the house i'm moving into has a lot of yard space.. I'm excited to get an actualy garden going.. That was one of the downfalls about living in an apartment lately! :P
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2009