Night Terrors?

My almost 28 month-old SS stayed with us this weekend and the first couple of nights were fairly normal. Though we had been warned he'd been having trouble sleeping, he slept completely through the night and woke up the next morning without issue. However Sunday and Monday nights he did a lot of tossing and turning and would wake up screaming and crying in the night. He would calm down only after being comforted for several minutes and then would go back in to a calm sleep until the next episode. It was really bad last night and he kept screaming, "NO, NO, NO" and would fight me until he realized that it was me and then would hang on to me like there was no tomorrow. Any idea on what might be causing this? His BM has full custody of him but he spends most nights at his maternal Grandma's house. Basically he sleeps at 3 different houses, so it's hard to track what his "normal" sleep is, except that he's never done this with us.

sarbar

Asked by sarbar at 10:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our son had night terrors until he was about 4 yrs old. His pediatrician said not to wake him, just check him. It eventually stopped. Although he didn't have 3 different homes to adjust to, he would scream in his sleep. She said some kids just do and not to worry he would grow out of it. Thankfully he has. Maybe take him to the Dr just to be sure, or talk to his Mom about it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We were told by our doctor that night terrors were quite common and our eldest suffered from them. I would take him to the doctors just in case there is some kind of problem, but otherwise I would keep doing what you're doing and wait for them to calm down, as they will do eventually. I know it's tiring, but it's not always necessary to wake them up as cruel as it sounds when you're child is thrashing around and looks upset.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 11:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• His mom isn't the best person when it comes to communication unfortunately, but my DH has been talking with his grandma about it and I'll tell him to maybe suggest a visit to the doctor if it continues in to this week. I didn't ever wake him up, I just snuggled him and patted him on the bottom, until he calmed down. It is a little tiring, but not something I mind doing. It just makes me feel really bad for him and helpless that I can't make it stop. He's such a sweetheart that it's hard to see him so upset!
    sarbar

Answer by sarbar at 12:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2009