What's your biggest religious faux pas to date?

I think the biggest for me was the day I "helpfully" told an elderly woman she had something on her face and it turned out to be ashes for Ash Wensday. I thought I was being nice. I would want someone to tell me if I had dirt on my face... I didn't know it was Ash Wensday... lol

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My biggest faux pas was ever believing in God.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 10:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• sabrina, that's too funny! Where I'm from everyone is mostly Catholic and so I grew up with the ashes on the forehead, but my husband is from Michigan and had never seen it before. He was confused about why he kept seeing person after person with dirt in the middle of their foreheads and was shocked when told what it was for (he grew up Methodist).

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i was on a first date, he said something funny yet sarcastic about someone, I said joking back that what he said was not very Christian. he got really quiet after that, it took me a few moments and then it struck me...he was Jewish

and yes, there was no second date

I grew up Catholic and it was just a manner of speech on my part, i did not mean anything by it, but he must not have seen it that way
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My husband made the same mistake you did - he knows very little about any religion - & couldn't figure out why the guy was pissed. While I know that I have said things that pissed people off on religious grounds, it has never been on accident (yet) or outside of a discussion they were a willing part of.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Just to clearify... I was only 16 at the time... And clueless about this stuff... It was a long time ago!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My biggest faux pas (that's so fun to say) was forcing myself to follow Christianity for longer than I should have. I went through the motions for years, but I was scared to follow what my heart was telling me. No, nothing horrible happened in my life during this time, nothing really "started" me down this path. Yeah, things happened AFTER I started doubting it, but not when I was 16 or 17 and was starting to be honest with myself. I was only in high school, it wasn't the right time or place to explore my spirituality. So if I could go back and do it all over again, I'd kick my own ass and tell myself to listen to me instead of my peers.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• hmm...i dunno if its my biggest but its the only one i can think of right now. when i first came on R&B i asked the dumbest question "why dont other Christian denoms get baptized when the Bible says you should?" or something like that. the church i grew up in taught that they were the only ones who baptized, so i figured no one else ever did it. i felt pretty stupid when all these moms got on here & told me that their church does it. just another lesson about how dumb the old religion i followed could be...

oh & i did the same thing last February when we went down to my ILs for Mardi Gras...but luckily i had family to ask haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Odd, IhartU, I grew up Methodist, and we did the Ashe Wednesday thing every year, with the ashes and everything....

hmmmm, maybe it differs church to church....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i did the ash-removal thing, too...about 5 years ago. and i'm waaaay older than 16ys! lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009