How to handle a friend like this?

I have a friend who tends to push everyone away! He recently pushed his very best friend away because he felt like his friends new girlfriend disrespected him.(She really didn't) He's stubborn and downright mean sometimes, but I see good in him too. He's tried to push me away but I just give him a while to calm down and then I'll call him and everything will be fine. I don't want to give up on him, but I'm afraid there will come a day when he hurts me to the point that I will give up on him all together. I don't want him to be alone the rest of his life with no one, but he's doing this to himself. Am I just wearing my heart on my sleeve and setting myself for a major heartache or am I doing the right thing by trying to stick by him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• We're talking about a friend right - not a boyfriend. If so, then you be the best friend that you can be to him. It's not your place to judge future possible actions or to wash your hands of him or to do it to him before he can do it to you. I might, in your situation, let him know that you see what he's doing and that you love him but if he ever does it to you - you're gone. I just had to do this to my sister (long story) but the essence is we never had a relationship (cuz she's a mean & spiteful person). She called wanting to have one - I agreed but told her when the BS started I would be gone. The BS started - I quit her. Sometimes you gotta let a person know that you see them - you know what they're doing and you gotta draw that line in the sand - and if they cross it - they already know what to expect. But don't drop him because he hasn't done anything to you. You seen to be the only person who gets him.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• has anyone ever suggested to this riend that he might need some form of mental help? your friend sounds like i did before i got diagnosed with BP, so maybe something is wired wrong in his head and he doesn't even know it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• That's what I have always thought about him, that he's bi polar, but I don't know if anyone ever suggested it to him or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009