i'm 35 weeks and have a few questions

1. i don't believe i have lost my mucouse plug yet. is that normal?
2. i noticed that my vaginal area is very swollen and big. it was never like that before. it doesn't hurt though. she is head down now. could that be what's causing it?
3. i don't think i have had any BHs. i have felt my stomach tighten a little but it doesn't hurt. is this normal?
4. my back has been hurting alot more than usual. is it because i'm getting close to the end?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 1. Yes. Not everyone loses their mucous plug early, not everyone has a lot to notice, and some don't lose it until the very last possible moment. All variations of normal.

2. There is a lot of extra blood flow in the area that makes them puffy like that in addition to the pressure of the baby. It is startling, but also normal.

3. Not every woman feels BH and not every woman feels pain. For example, I am 39 weeks and though I'm sure my uterus is doing its thing, I don't notice. Sometimes I think I confuse uterus tightening with baby's shifting postion -- it doesn't hurt. Nothing to worry about.

4. Your back may hurt because of the way the human spine is designed. There is a lot of extra weight in your abdomen that pulls your muscles in ways that aren't idea. It's why if you are on all fours it feels better because the extra weight is distributed easily along the spine. It may also mean MORE...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• CONT... is posterior. It's back facing your back which puts a lot of pressure on the sensitive areas and also causes the panful "back labor" later. If this is the case you can go to www.spinningbabies.com to encourage the baby to move to a more comfortable position.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You don't ever need to lose the plug (or lose it so you'll see it.
    There is excess blood flow, your circulation down there is greater than usual.
    It sounds like you are noticing a braxton hicks contraction on occasion, but you can still have them without noticing, too.
    Yes, that belly out front gets big & heavy, does a lot to the back. :-(
    You sound normal and nearing the end. :-)
    Is this your first baby?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• 1. Yes. It is equally normal to lose your mucus plug weeks ahead of time, or not until you are in active labor.

2. There is just a lot of increased blood flow to your pelvis right now. Swelling is normal.

3. The stomach tightening is BH. Some women don't even feel them or notice them at all.

4. It's just the cumulative strain from the extra weight on those muscles over the last couple months. Have DH give you a nice massage.

Hang in there mama! In just a few more weeks it will all be over and that sweet little baby will be here!
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I am 34 weeks today with my 3rd and I haven't lost my plug yet either babe. I didn't lose it with my other two until I was in labor. For everyone, it's diffrent. As soon as this baby went head down my vagina has done the same thing. My midwife said the swollenness is from pressure, thats all. Nothing to worry about. Your contractions will start hurting when you are in labor, mine don't hurt right now either. And your back can hurt for a few diffrent reasons, one being the pull of your stomach while pregnant. Thats why mine hurts. I hope I helped. Good luck babe!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Write these questions down for your next Dr visit. IMO you're fine. The tightening is normal and could be considered braxton hicks contractions. Your body is preparing for delivery. CONGRATS!! and GL!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• CONT... that the baby is posterior. It's back facing your back which puts a lot of pressure on the sensitive areas and also causes the panful "back labor" later. If this is the case you can go to www.spinningbabies.com to encourage the baby to move to a more comfortable position. Also, becaues your weight is distributed oddly with pregnancy, the way you walk puts a lot of strain on the spine. Try not to "waddle" too much if you can help it. Some women find pregnancy belts helpful in easing the pull on the spine.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:00 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• OP...
    wow thank you all for the help.. this is my first baby and i'm getting really excited but at the same time worrying about things like missing the signs of important things. also i'm worried about labor in general lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2009