To medicate or not to medicate???? 4 Month shots

Me again! Ok my Lil' Sweetie has to get her 4 month shots today and EVERYBODY including my DH is telling me to give her Tylenol before the shots.
The Dr. said it was up to me, I just do not like giving her meds unless she really needs them - but I do not want her to be in more pain!
What did you gals do? Or what are your opinions about this?

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 11:09 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I worked at a pediatricians office before and the doctor would not want the patient to have Tylenol before shots because they always check to see if the child is running a temp before giving the shots. That way, the temp would be accurate. If they were running a temp, then he wouldn't give the shots. But he allowed the patient to have Tylenol right after the shots in the office. Therefore, take the Tylenol with you and give it right after the shots. It will help her with any discomfort. Also, most doctors reccomend Tylenol for the first 24 hours the day of the shots. Good luck!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We just go to the health department to get my sons shots since our insurance wont cover them. I gave my son tylenol before hand and the nurse said "your such a good mommy" I always do. And I give it to him for the next 24 hours after and then go from there based on how he's feeling, if he's running a fever and so on.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Tylenol lowers a temperature/fever. Many vaccines cause a fever. If you give Tylenol before the vaccine, you have no way of knowing if the vaccine caused a fever. I would not give Tylenol before hand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I always gave it after,but you can give just before the shot (after the doc see the child, though). Shots typically cuase pain and fever so it makes sense to give it before rather than waiting for the fever to strike.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i usually give it after, only if she runs a fever. she's a little trooper and doesn't mind getting stuck so long as mommy is there to make her feel better(translate: she wants to nurse) if your lo is bf, you might try nursing after the shots; some actually manage to nurse while the baby is getting the shot- mine doesn't hold still while nursing, so i don't know how well that works
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My opinion is to not vax before baby turns one.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I just returned home from getting my son's 4 month shots. At his two month shots he cried and was fussy the whole afternoon and into the next day. I called the pedi office and they said I could give him tylenol before he came over for his 4 month shots so I did. He cried for only a minute after the shots were given and was laughing/talking while I was getting his clothes back on in the office. He is on the floor laughing and playing with his toys right now and it has been about 45 min since the shots. I think the tylenol def helped. He is such a trooper :). They said I can continue to give it to him every 6 hours as needed. I think I will give some to him tonight before bedtime and hopefully he won't need it tomorrow! Good luck mama!
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Thanks for the answers Momma's! I decided NOT to give her Tylenol before the visit and it was a good thing! She WAS running a bit of a fever (from teething). I gave it to her after which seemed to work for her!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009