BM in the hands of caretakers...

Ug! My mother-in-law watched my son for 2 hours yesterday. My SO fed him one hour before his mom came over. He is 4 1/2 months old and usually eats 4-5oz bottles of pumped BM 3-4 times a day while I'm at work for 10 1/2 hours. She fed him 11oz (which I had frozen in 2 meal sizes and one snack size) in that two hours! That was all of my frozen supply and I wasn't going to be home for 5 more hours. My SO and I had no milk left! Usually I would still have one frozen meal leftover when I got home. I know she has the best intentions but she said "He just kept eating..." He is teething so he sucks/bites at whatever he can. I know she loves him and us, but as an experienced mom and grandma should she have known better? Or maybe my SO should have left more precise instructions? I am having a really hard time with my milk supply and work so hard for every ounce I store. The whole thing really makes me want to cry...

bxp10070

Asked by bxp10070 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))) mama. Next time, leave more detailed instructions, stating that he is teething and how often and how much he should be fed.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well, if he ate it and didn't spit it up, then he did utilize the milk. So it's still well worth it. Could be a growth spurt. But again, if nothing was spit up, then don't worry about it. At that age, my daughter took 6 oz bottles and now and then would take antoher 2 oz at a given feed. Think about it, you don't always eat the exact same amount, do you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Detailed instructions are always best.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Should have left instructions, and maybe the baby was hungry?!
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• He may be going through a growth spurt.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Thank you... I am just so frustrated b/c now I will not have enough BM to get through to the weekend which is when I usually build up my supply. I guess baby will get his first formula... My mom has suggested posting instructions on feeding on our freezer door. Then I won't have to rely on my SO leaving instructions. Thanks for the support.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would always pack WAY more than he needed...usually around 16 oz... and shockingly sometimes he would eat all of it in 8 hours! You just never know when they are going to want to eat alot due to a growth spurt or something.
    I also packed along a couple of the formula singles for an emergency... because i would rather he not go hungry if he didn't have any milk left.
    It's hard when you have a low supply.. I know, I battled with it the entire time we breastfed... I found that taking the supplement More Milk Plus worked very well for me and it increased my supply by a couple of oz per pumping. And a friend of mine was started on Reglan by her doctor and she thought it was amazing.... so if you haven't looked into those you might want to.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Hmmm, Reglan I have never heard of that for BM. That is so interesting. I am a dialysis nurse and we give it to our pts PRN for nausea. I will look into it and ask my doctor although I am pretty sure we will have to start supplementing this week. After talking to my pediatrician I feel a little better about it. After alll that work it does kind of feel like I've failed him at breastfeeding though. Do you know what I mean? More Milk Plus didn't work so well for me but I do take Fennugreek and eat a lot of oats... We have formula on hand for an emergency, but we have always gotten away with the milk I am able to pump/store. I was told that my LO would nurse more when I'm home if he didn't get enough calories while I was gone. I would never let him go hungry. He weighed in at 16 1/2 lbs at his 4 month visit. I suppose as long as he is happy and healthy it is ok that I might have to give him formula sometimes...
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009