CEREAL!!WHEN?WHERE?HOW MUCH?

I AM JUST STARTING TO GIVE CEREAL TO MY BABY GIRL.SHE IS 13 WEEKS BUT HAS DOUBLED HER WEIGHT PLUS A POUND AND SITS UP ASSISTED.SO I WAS WONDERING HOW OFTEN SHOULD I GIVE IT TO HER?AND WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE BEST TIME?DINNER?BREAKFAST?SHES GOT SOME MEAT ON HER BONES SO I DONT WANT TO GIVE HER TOO MUCH AND THE CEREAL BOX ONLY TELLS YOU HOW MUCH TO START WITH.SO,ADVICE WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

proudnewmommee

Asked by proudnewmommee at 11:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you breastfeeding or formula? If breastfeeding, as often as you want AFTER nursing...whatever she wants AFTER nursing is dandy.

If you're formula feeding, that is her primary food and the cereal follows THAT.

I'd go with once a day for now, then increase it. Give her what she will take, AFTER her bottle or nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• 13 weeks is pretty early. The signs of readiness are having a pincer grasp, having teeth, sitting UNassisted and chewing. I'd skip it for now because giving cereal or any solids this early increases your baby's risk of diabetes and eating problems later in life. The AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding (or formula, if that's what you're doing) for 6 months with complimentary foods thereafter, and babies don't NEED any solids until they're a year old.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• ATI,
    there is no real link between starting solids earlier and eating issues and obesity.
    There are theories, however nothing proven.

Childrens obesity, can be attributed to moms going to McDonalds with their to and three year olds and calling it a balanced meal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• NO SOLIDS UNTIL 6 MONTHS. What's wrong with lazy parents today that feel the need to push cardboard on their kid for the parent's convenience?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

------------------------------
    First off, who are you to judge anyone???
    Secondly, I went to CHILDRENS nutritionist, and they said it was ok for her to start solids at 4 months.
    Secondly, OP was not looking for your opinion on should shouldn't etc.
    She was asking how much.

waht is wrong with people like you that find it ok to be rude when a simple question has been asked. Get off your high horse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• IM NOT STARTING CEREAL BECAUSE IM LAZY!!QUITE THE OPPOSITE IM ADDING TO HER DIET BY GIVING IT TO HER ALONG WITH FORMULA!!I READ IN MULTIPLE ARTICLES THAT ITS NOT ABOUT AGE BUT WHERE THEY ARE IN THEIR DEVELOPMENT.SHE MEETS ALL OF THE SIGNS OF BEING READY TO START 1ST STAGE FOODS.IF YOU READ THE ENTIRE QUESTION I EXPLAIN THAT ITS MORE FOR PRACTICE AT THIS POINT.SHE WILL STILL GET HER FORMULA ,I JUST WAS ADDING A 1OR 2 TABLESPOONS AFTER BREAKFAST OR DINNER.IM A NEW PARENT AND WAS JUST LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE ON THE BEST TIME OF DAY TO GIVE IT, AND HOW MANY TIMES A DAY IS BEST!THANK YOU FOR TRYING TO MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A BAD PARENT!!!!!!!!!AND IF YOU FEEL THAT YOURE SO RIGHT,WHY ANONYMOUS??
    proudnewmommee

Answer by proudnewmommee at 2:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• In my opinion, she is too young for anything other then formula or breastmilk. I'd wait longer, and skip cereal. I'd start off with a vegetable puree, or mashed banana, or mashed avocado. When feeding solids to a child under 12 mos, ALWAYS nurse/feed formula first, then offer the food. I would wait until at least 6 months. I began offering my son veggies around 8 mos, but he only ate a few spoonfuls every few days until 11 months, when he became more interested and started eating solids on a daily basis.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2009