Is there a law that says that the safest place for a baby is in the center of the backseat?

My mom went round and round with me over this when my daughter was born. She said that every baby she knew of rode in one of the window seats, but I told her that it was "the law" that babies had to ride in the center. Seems like common sense to me, I don't know.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No it isn't a law. I always found it easier to reach them if they were in the center.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• it's not "the law" but it is safer b/c if you were in an accident & hit in the back on either side by the door, it would hurt the baby worse if they were by the door instead of in the middle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• No, it isn't law. But studies have shown that it is the safest seat in the car.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The center IS the safest place, but I don't know if it's a law. I know that in Colorado children under 12 have to be in the back seat and children under 4'9" have to be in a booster seat. Rear facing carseats are also on the books in a law. You just need to look up your state's legislation.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's not a law, but it is the safest place for them to be.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Its not a law , i just know the police told me that it was better/safer in 2004 and the hospital told me it was better/safer when i had harmoni in 08
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 11:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It is not a law, what happens if you have two?
    My dad flips out if i have my DD on the side because if we get t-boned she is going to get hurt. LOL.. So, she is always in the center, but it is not a law.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• As far as I know its not law they have to be near the window or the center, the law is they have to be in a rear facing seat in the back seat, if your vehichle has a back seat. Age, height, and weight plays a part in which direction they face but thats the only law I know of in my state, they dont care if they are in the middle or near the window, they just need to be in a carseat and facing the right way for the childs age, etc, etc.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's not a law, but it is recommended. What about those with more than one baby? What do they do, pile the children on top of each other? lol... funny mental image actually.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's not the law, it's research.

Grandma can SAY what she pleases...it's your car and your baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2009