Being induced tomorrow, fifth child, first time for being induced. Anyone help?

Okay, so I'm being induced due to pre-eclampsia. I'm just a bit nervous to be honest and would like someonee maybe to share their experience with me? I'm quite scared if I'm being honest! Thanks in advance ladies :)

mommatomanyy

Asked by mommatomanyy at 11:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I loved it. My first, and only pregnancy I was induced. It was nice knowing when it was going to happy, and knowing your doctor will definitely be there, and everything will be set and ready, and there wont be crazy surprises!

I actually just found out I'm pregnant again [my son is 6 months now] and I'm most worried about going into labor, and not being induced haha.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 11:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• No big deal really. They say it is quicker but my first was so fast it actually took longer. I didn't find it strange or more painful. Good Luck!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have 4 children 21,17,14,1.............I had it with all of them.Now are you going to get an epidural?
    cause if not then you will be in a whole lot of pain like right away.I mean it is 10 times worse then just letting the pain come naturally. With an epi if they do it right it will be okay.Now towards the end you will feel some pressure in you privatesits the baby coming down..
    savvya

Answer by savvya at 12:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I had an induction with pitocin with my second baby. I didn't need an epidural. It was actually my easiest and least painful delivery.
    I went in at 8am, was monitored for an hour or so. Had my iv and started the pit at 10am. I contracted for several hour, it was pain free and at 2:12pm, they broke my water. 61 minutes later he was born. That hour was painful, but it only lasted an hour.
    I would not let them break your water until you are most of the way dilated. The water is a cushion that you need.
    Good Luck.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• my sister was induced a 10 weeks ago. her swelling was the justification for the induction. everything went pretty well. she did end up getting an epidural for the pain but i think she would have anyway. she went in around 7am and had her baby by 7pm. with the epidural she was not in much pain, and she never had trouble pushing or anything. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I was induced and the only thing is that it gets intense quick. Which it was good for me so I didn't have to be in labor forever but when I was dialated to 4 cm I had to get my epidural for me it just was that the pain came quicker and all at once. But I only pushed for 25 minutes and had my little boy. I wouild do it again it's not bad. It just seemed quicker. :) You'll do great it's really not a big deal to be induced. Good luck and Congrats!!
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 12:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I was induced with all three of my kiddos and I am preg with my 4th and will probably be induced again due to pre-eclampsia. Honestly I loved being induced. I was 5 days early with the first, 7 days with the second and almost 3 weeks with the last. I did have an epidural with all three so they went really well.
    Tarabon

Answer by Tarabon at 2:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I've no personal experience but I know some things that will help. Have them use a Bishop Score to assess your readiness for induction. If it is low they will need to ripen your cervix. If that is the case you have a choice between cervadil or prostaglandin gel (research their effects, and side effects to decide which you prefer). DO NOT under ANY circumstances allow then to use a drug called CYTOTEC (misoprostol). It is a dangerous ulcer medication not approved and warned against for use in labor induction. You can tell them to keep the pitocin on the lowest dose needed to get things started, and if your labor is well under way you can have them turn it OFF. If you decide on an epidural, you can also be sure that the dose is low so that you can feel and move...this will reduce your chances of tearing and allow you to change positions so you aren't stuck on your back. Request intermittent...MORE
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• monitoring or a wireless EFM so that you aren't confined to bed.

Be aware that they are going to give you an IV of fluides and that means you will likely get over hydrated and the baby too, so you may find that the baby seemingly will lose more weight that you are used to for non induced babies -- its just the excess fluid and drugs.

I would also research epidural ... just so that you are prepared for any adverse reactions or strange occurances, if you decide to have it. Some women don't use pain medications for inductions, especially if their pitocin dose is only enough for their needs and not cranked up.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009