Should laws and penalties be stricter when dealing with dirty cops?

We recently had a local cop arrested. We all knew he was dirty! He was known for dealing cocaine and you knew you could always count on him to let the big time dealers and his friends know when a bust was going down.

Problem is he wasn't caught with any drugs on him. All they can get him on is "police corruption" and that's only if they can proove that he was tipping off the dealers.

Shouldn't there be stricter laws in place to stop this?

**Sorry, for the spelling! This thing doesn't have check and I'm dyslexic...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely! I dont think there is going to be anyone who would disagree :)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I've yet to meet a cop who wasn't crooked.
    It's always funny how the evidence becomes LOST when the cops are doing criminal behaviors!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I totally agree, I worked at a Police Station and I know now what all goes on there! Its bad very bad!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I get what you mean but I don't think the law should be diffrent for cops. They aren't above or below anyone else and they should serve the same punishment any normal person would. Thats just my opinion, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• MOST police officers are hard working, law-abiding people who deal with problems the rest of society want protection from. The few who are corrupt give all of the good ones a black eye, and those FEW should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, with additional penalties for betraying the public trust.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My husband is a cop and he isn't the least bit crooked. And of course that guy should be given all the punishment he's eligible for. Stricter? I'm not sure it's possible to create new or "stricter" laws just because someone is a cop. They're not Gods or something, you know what I mean? Just make sure they're prosecuted and get everything possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Alaska police officer was just arrested last month for assaulting 6 victims of crimes. He did that when working. Cops are everyday people too. Some think they all are super-human but it is not the case.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• YES YES YES!!! I agree that the majority are out there risking their safety for ours and I thank them for that; however as paganmama said those that aren't and are abusing their power should be held as accountable as possible with all maximum penalties imposed and I'll tell you why.

They aren't just some joe-shmoe off the street; they are fully well aware of the fact they are breaking the law; WHILE they're supposed to be upholding it.

A few months ago a deputy stole $400 from a woman he arrested. She filed a complaint; they went after him and he said "Oh my bad, here's your money back and I'll resign" and they said "Oh ok have a nice day then" - WHAT? Are you kidding me? No prosocution?? Would that work for any of us? Return stolen goods and say your sorry and no one presses charges? I don't think so!

Now this guy is scott free w/ nothing on his record; wait til he moves to your town to do it all over again!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We just had a few cases here involving a police station with more than one corrupt cop and and I definatly think that they should be held to a higher standard. Who is going to follow the laws if the people who enforce them dont even follow them?
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2009