giving a child to much meds???

I babysit a 24 month old his mom left a note in his bag to give him this children's cold and cough dm meds she left directions to give him 1 tsp every 3-4 hours the directions on the bottle say ask a doc under 6 and from 6-12 give 2 tsp every 4-6 hours....i really don't know what to do all he has is a runny nose no cough at all......i have been babysitting him for a year now and over half the time he has been on this med i am talking all together its been 6 months i have gotten to where i don't give it to him at all i just pour it down the drain this is my cousins child i watch....he is so slow to like he don't talk maybe says 5 words don't wanna play just sit and do nothing what would you guys do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is possible the doctor has him on the medicine. My daughter was an on OTC allergy med and my doc gave me different instructions than were on the bottle. I'd be pissed if I found out my sitter was not only ignoring my instructions, but was also throwing out the medicine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• op----well its not allergy med and i know the doc didn't say give it to him i take my child to the same doc and he always says never give cold meds and she gives her older child "night night" med to make her sleep at night she gives her benadryl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• So just medicating to 'calm them down' so to say? I can't imagine giving your kids meds for no reason. I wasn't too fond of the allergy meds, but after getting tubes and adenoids done, we haven't needed any more. Gooluck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009