what is the real meaning of blaspheming?

i dont understand what sin you would be guilty of to be guilty of blasphem

misslj

Asked by misslj at 12:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I Believe , the only unforgivable sin is the rejection of Jesus Christs offer of salvation, His free gift of eternal life, and thus , His forgiveness from sin, If you dont except his gift, you can not forgiven, If you deny the holy spirits entrance into your life to work his sanctication in you , you can not be cleansed from unrighteousness, Perhaps this is to simple of an explanation but it is the only one that makes the most sinse to me in the light of the scriptures Matthew 12 31-32 Luke 12-10
    sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Blaspheme: to cause an uptight Christian's panties to twist in a forceful manner by saying something they disagree with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• That's not blasphemy 1st anon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's the common usage of it whether it's the real Webster's definition or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The actual definition of the word is...

1. impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.
    2. Judaism. a. an act of cursing or reviling God. b. pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton (YHVH) in the original, now forbidden manner instead of using a substitute pronunciation such as Adonai.
    3. Theology. the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.
    4. irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.: He uttered blasphemies against life itself.

So I would say that by this definition it would be more than possible to be guilty of blasphemy... I mean how many people do you know that seem to think they can make decisions in gods place... We see it all the time on here...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Blasphemy is denying the works of the father, son, and holy spirit. It's unforgivable only for the fact that the person refuses to believe.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think blaspheming is to insult anything held sacred by a given institution or culture. So for Christians that would mean insulting God, for modern Pagans I suppose that showing blatant disregard for Mother Earth could be blasphemy, for the ancient Greeks it was insulting the gods of the city, maybe for the Shakespeare Foundation calling the works of Wm. Shakespeare garbage is blasphemy. Which means that most of us blaspheme in someone's eyes all the time. What matters, I suppose, is what the institutions you belong to or respect considers blasphemy.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I agree anon 12:12
    go to intouch.org for a sermon you can watch online on this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "Blasphemy" and "herecy" are most commonly used under their connotative meaning which is basically cop-outs that people use to control the ideas, both religious and non-religious, of others. Anything different or radical? Automatically label it as blasphemy and you don't have to deal with it. Lo and behold, the earth really is round or Galileo really did have a point! (lol or whatever else, just an example). This isn't exclusive to the time frame of the examples I gave now, people still use blasphemy in the same way today. Heck, women who want to be pastors are called blasphemers and "Jezebels."

Yes, I know that's an oversimplification but they only give you so much room to type.

Blasphemy is too often seen as a crime against a church doctrine, when Biblically, it's an offense to God's name (i.e. Psalms 74:10 ) or the denial of the Holy Spirit (i.e. Mark 3:29).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

rolling on floor

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009