What's a good age to start taking the paci away?

My daughter is 14 months and shes hooked. She just got off the bottle a month ago and I'm also trying to get her used to the nursery at church (in a few months she will be in daycare for a couple hours a day) so I feel like it would be too hard on her if I took the paci away now. She doesn't always have it. During the day I don't let her have it bc it's like hearing her talk with her mouth full ha. Plus, I dont want her to have a speech impairment. I've heard no later than 3 years old. I also heard 2 years old is a good age. But I don't even know how to go about this! Any advice?

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• speech impediment* oops
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Why wasn't she offthe bottle months ago? She should have been using a cup. At least a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• She is on a sippy cup and has been for months. But she wouldn't drink milk out of (only water..she hates juice) it till about 13 months. I was tryin to wean her since 11 months. I'm going by what my baby needs not by a damn book.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Sounds like YOU'RE ready, so it is the right time. Start her out with some other item of comfort when she goes to daycare. My favorite is a nice big lipstick kiss on the back of her hand to remember you. Perhaps she can take different plush animals for comfort (I say different so no single one becomes a necessity). When you're ready to pull the paci for good, do it in conjuction with new 'big girl' rewards. (paint her nails, let her wear a gem stone hair clip, anything you can deem only for big girls) She might go back & forth between wanting to be big, but with your encouragement & consistency she'll end up there.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You can start by losing it at naps and then go in and take it once she is asleep at night. We went cold turkey but mine was 5 mos. That was a rough week. Mine was very dependent at an early age. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• cutiemoose...that is SUCH a great idea. Do you think at just turning 14 months she will understand the "big girl" things?
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• No, she won't understand the big girl thing completely. What she'll pick up at first is that "I have to trade things I wanted to keep for the paci." It will take trial and error and lots of repetition to find what motivates her and what you can give and take. (e.g. nail polish can come off easily with the little sponge-in-a-jar remover, but will she care at the moment she wants the paci that you're taking off the polish? Probably not. But over time the pieces will start coming together.)
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009