Cleaning and Housekeeping for extra money?

I'm broke and unemployed, even McDonalds, and Burger King are not needing any help. I'm looking to do Housework such as Move-in cleanup, Move-out cleanup, Party Cleanup, etc.

How does an individual get started? What do I need? Do I need my own cleaning supplies, my own mop, my own vaccuum? And what do I charge? What downfalls do I watch out for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have been doing house for about 20 years off and on. You can put up flyer in the area and run a short ad in paper. Just state house cleaning...reasonable rates. call 4 more info. You may try looking at ads in the paper and compare what everyone else is charging. Some of the homes I do, they supply all cleaning supplies, down to the rubber gloves. Others, I need to bring my own scoop shovel as well. If you can establish a routine list of people, instead of charging them the hourly rate, charge them a flat fee. And sometimes bartering pays off more than $$.
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 12:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Call different rwal estate agencies. They need people to clean houses that are on the market. Like when people move out you go into the empty house and clean everything. The agency is in charge of paying you and as long as people are selling houses you will have work to do. For this you will prob have to bring your own cleaning supplies but that's something to ask them. Its much nicer to clean an empty house then have to worry about little things people who live there will 'investigate' after you leave. I cleaned for a family that the man would hide things in strange places (like air vents, top of ceiling fans etc) just to see if I cleaned it & would fire the cleaner if they 'missed' his hidden item... So I highly suggest calling the real estate agencies they just need a clean & presentable house to show. GL
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009