Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son was just diagnosed with ADHD, what can or should I expect from the school or what are they required to do?

Answer Question

Asked by Keli.H at 12:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • they are not required to do anything...except give your son his meds if he is supposed to take them at school...other than that he will be treated just like every other kid there

    Answer by jessiesosore at 12:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • One thing to keep in mind is that he may need to take "special classes". I don't know what kind of programs they have at the school, my I have a cousin who was diagnosed with ADHD and he is taking classes that are a little easier, and focus more one on one, because he gets super distracted in class. You should talk with a teacher/counselor whoever it is at the school, and figure out a good plan for your son.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • You should join the Cafemom group.....ADHD and US! Tons of good information in this group of moms.

    Depending on the severity of the ADHD and how it affects your child's ability to learn, the school may put your son on an IEP or 504 plan. I don't know all the specifics but there are things the school is REQUIRED to do if you are willing to press the issue.

    Answer by Dyndudes at 12:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Is your son going to be taking meds? If so, find out from his doc if he will be taking a time release med or one that he will need to take two doses of, usually one in a.m. at home and one in p.m. at school. My daughter has ADHD and takes 15 mg Focalin at about 8:30 a.m., 5 mg at about 1:30, to balance out her afternoon. If he will be taking meds at school you will need to have a form filled out by his doc and on file with the school. IMO, i would push for an IEP with his school's administration. This IEP will help him all the way through college, and may provide such things as individualized classroom aides, visits with the school psychologist or social worker, and even preferential seating in his room. I would approach his teacher first, if you are not successful getting the IEP through her, contact your local school district head office and ask to speak to Special Services. PM me if you have ANY questions! GL!

    Answer by emnasmom at 1:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Unless you get an ADEP put in place, the school and teachers do not have to do anything. Call the school counselor and get an ADEP set up. An ADEP is an IEP for kids that just have ADHD or ADD. I tells what the child is to do, the parents and the staff. It is to be updated yearly unless something else comes up during the school year. Your child should not have to be in special classes because of the ADHD and he may not be considered special needs (or whatever it is called). My son is ADHD and is not in any special classes but has an ADEP.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.