Baby yogurt...

I am going to ask my pediatrician for his advise today but I was just wondering what all you mom's think about baby yogurt. At what age can they have it? Do you have to wait until 12 months like cow milk? Did your baby like it? Was it easy enough for them to digest? Did it make them feel full? Does it have a lot of sugar it it? I don't hear much about it but I think it sounds like something nutritious that my son might like... I wonder if there is a reason I don't hear much about it? Do you know of any bad things associated with it?

bxp10070

Asked by bxp10070 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can start yogurt and cheese around 8-9 months. It's okay to give before a year.... yes it's dairy, but it's more processed than what milk is and it's much easier to digest. In addition, the main reason you aren't supposed to start milk before 12 months is becuase it doesn't have the proper nutrition that breastmilk or formula has.
    My son LOVES yogurt... we buy Yobaby for him. It's made from whole milk and I don't think it has any added sugars. And now they make Little blends or 3 in 1 meals (depends on where you get it I think) but they are both by stonyfield and they are vege and fruit yogurt... like squash/apple and my son loves those too! We give my son yogurt to help supplement his diet on days he hasn't been a very good eater.
    Yogurt in general is very good for the digestive tract because it has probiotics... which are good for all kinds of things!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I gave my son yogurt starting at around 7 months. My son loves it - all flavors, all kinds. I've given him several different brands, including Yobaby, which doesn't have all the sugar that regular yogurt has. He hasn't had any problems with digestion and it helps fill him up, although it's not all he gets at a meal. I like the small containers, like Yobaby or the Dannon 6 pk- it seems to be the perfect amount to go with other foods. The pp mentioned the new veggie yogurts and I haven't tried those yet but saw them advertised and mean to go get some.

Answer by missanc at 2:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I started my son on it at about 8 months. He loves the apple and blueberry Yo Baby flavors. He doesn't like the kind with cereal in it (raspberry I think). The probiotics in yogurt are actually very good for their immune and digestive systems.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 8:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009