Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing my name on my social security card...

I am having so much trouble changing my name on my social after getting married. I went to the DMV first to change my license and I guess I was supposed to change my social first but the DMV never told me anything. Now the social security office wants a picture id with my old name on it and I don't have one..AHH Did anyone else have this problem? What did you do to solve it??? I am so frustrated!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (3)
  • i didn't have this problem, however you should be able to go back to dmv and get maybe a record or something that has your maiden name on it? if not that would they accept a copy of an old id, dmv probably has that on file somewhere. i'd also call the number on the new social security card application, explain your problem and see what other option there is since you no longer have an id w/maiden name. maybe a combination of other id/forms w/the maiden and married name will help (like a credit/bank card, bank statements etc...)

    Answer by vabchmommy at 12:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Your new picture ID and your marriage license with both your old name and his name should work. What is their problem?  Do you have an old school ID.  Even a year book? Take everything you can find with you, even your wedding pictures!


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • You won't be able to change your name on your license until it's been in the SS system for a whole day. You could probably get a new license, or just an ID (might be cheaper) with your maiden name on it. Go to the SS office, with the ID (w/ maiden name) and change your name. The next day it will be in the DMV's system, and then you can update your driver's license. I know it's a back-and-forth type of deal, but I don't know another way to do it.

    Answer by srhmldndo at 2:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.