When do I start dilating?

I was wondering when the doctor starts to check if Im dilating? Im 30 weeks and my next appointment is at 34 weeks. Can I tell when I start to?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 1:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Dilation means nothing because every woman is different. Some woman walk around dilated for weeks, and some women don't dilate until in the throes of labor. All normal. Worrying about dilation is just going to bring you stress. You don't even have to get checked at all you can decline, and if you decide to allow a check you can tell them not to tell you any numbers. That way you don't get overly excited and then get dissapointed when you body is doing its thing at is leisure, and you don't get discouraged just because you aren't dilated like some other women.

In addition to reducing stressed, not checking your cervix all the time virtually eliminates the possibility of infection and things like having your membranes stripped without your permission or knowledge will never happen.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• your cervix will at anytime do it on its own. sometimes womens dont until they are in labor. some early as you are or sooner. it all depends on the person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The Dr. can show you how to check yourself. My midwife starts checking at 34 weeks and/or whenever asked. If you are concerned then you should ask for an "in between" appointment just to have your cervix checked. Good luck babe!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Honsetly you never know I didn't until I was in labor. The Dr. checked me at 38 weeks and nothing he said that they were going to induce me at 39 weeks and 2 days because I would be late since I have not started dialating. The night before I was 39 week (3 days before I was getting induced) my water broke and when I went into the hospital I still was not dialated at all. They induced me because I was not having contractions at all either my water just broke. So even if you haven't started it doesn't mean anything. :) Good luck!!
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 1:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• They normally start checking at 36 weeks or so, if they check at all. Some doctors don't check because it's pretty useless information; some women sit at 4 cm for 3 weeks, some don't dilate at all until they're in labor. The only way I know of that you can even guess at whether you're dilating is if you start losing the mucus plug, which again might not happen until you go into labor, and even if you're starting to dilate a little it doesn't mean the plug will come out.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009